CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Spencer Willow

I'm woken on Saturday morning by my phone. I feel like I'm having deja vu. I pick up the phone, not checking the number.

"We're picking you up in ten minutes," I hear Emily say, before she hangs up. I groan, looking at the time, before quickly getting out of bed and having a fast shower, before getting dressed and brushing my teeth at the same time, heading out the door where Emily pulls up with May and Lucy in the car. I get in the back next to May, and Emily starts driving.

"Do you know what is happening this Friday?" Emily asks, and I raise an eyebrow, confused.

"What?" I ask, and Emily rolls her eyes.

"The winter prom," Emily responds, and I groan.

"Don't remind me," I complain, and Lucy laughs.

"Well, we're reminding you, because you're going to buy a dress today," May informs me, and I groan.

"I'd rather not," I reply, and Emily laughs.

"Sorry, you have to. The theme is masquerade, so you also get to wear a mask," Lucy replies, and I sigh.

"Fine," I reply, and Emily grins, as we head to the shopping centre.

It's been an hour, and only Emily has found a dress. She bought a long, blue dress with a slit up the side, something I would never dare to wear. Lucy is currently trying on a green dress, while May and I are still looking at all the dresses.

"How does this look?" Lucy asks, stepping out the dressing room. Her dress is short and green, which reaches just above her knee. It suits her, she looks like a fairy or something.

"You look amazing," I inform her, and Lucy smiles, as May and Emily echo me. Lucy returns to the dressing room to change back into her normal clothes, while May and I continue our search.

We eventually leave that shop, Lucy carrying her new dress. We head into another dress shop, and May and I start searching. I pick up one dress, which is white which I quite like. I decide to go try it on, and once it's on, I look in the mirror.

The top part of the dress is white, which has a plain white fabric underneath with a layer of white lace over it, and the sleeves are also made of the thin white lace down to my elbows. At the waist, he dress has a thin gold belt, before flowing down to my knee in a loose white skirt, with a thin underskirt under the white material.

"How is this?" I ask Emily, who is stood outside the dressing room. She looks up and smiles.

"You look amazing," Emily says, and I grin.

"Why thank you," I reply, deciding then that this will be the dress I buy. I quickly get changed and buy the expensive dress, also buying some white heels at match. May also buys a gold dress in here, before we head to the costume shop on the corner. Inside, they have a whole wall of different masks, split into different categories. I look around for a white one, and eventually find a white and gold mask to cover my eyes which matches perfectly. I buy the mask, before waiting for the others to buy theirs.

"Should we go get lunch somewhere?" Lucy suggests, and we all agree, heading to a small cafe and getting some lunch.

"So, who are you going with?" May asks me, curiously.