Chapter 23

Notes:

Additional Cast:

Evangeline Lilly as Phoebe Combs

Joshua Jackson as Steven Adams 

 Jessica Parker Kennedy as Sam Harris  

Vanessa's POV

I try to find the appropriate outfit for the lgbt gathering tomorrow. I'm torn between a colorful jacket and a pink shirt. My mum, with who I talk meanwhile on skype, refuses to give me any styling advice.

"My sweet Vanessa, you know you don't have to overthink about everything, right? Just go for the first thing in the closet." She's not going to help I suppose.

"But mom, I wanna show that I do care for the cause and support the ones who invited me. Plus, I'm also going as a representer of the paper alongside with the editor and that requires something professional too." My dad gets in the screen and leaves my mom at the background.

"Kiddo, if you weren't as beautiful as you are, I would wonder if you are actually my daughter. How does that tiny head of yours go through this process everyday? Loosen up a little." I decide on my own since I'm the only one who sees the importance of this.

"I'll go with the pink shirt, it should vocalize the feminist in me."

"It doesn't matter what you're wearing, it matters that you're going, Nessa." My dad says. This makes sense I guess but still.

"Where is Alice? I'd love to say hi to her." My mom fights for some space at the camera. These two should grow up.

"She has a class. Speaking of, she's almost finished and I have to meet her at the grill. Is it okay to hang up now?" I ask as I do my hair up.

"It's food time for us too, don't you think woman?" my dad looks impatiently at my mom.

"Of course it is okay sweetie. We are gonna eat as well before your dad eats me up alive instead. Hopefully his leg will be completely fine by next month, so he can put some work in the kitchen too. Take care, we love you lots!" She blows a kiss at me.

"Love you lots, kiddo!"

"Love you both lots, bye!"

I turn off my laptop, grab my keys and go to the grill just at the moment Alice shows up.

"You girl are always punctual, how do you do that?" She smiles and greets me with a hug. I feel so lucky to have her, she is such a good friend to me.

"It's called having a program, Alice." I tease.

"Control freak much." She whispers. Since the sun is generous today, we decide to sit outdoors. It's pretty crowded but somehow Alice manages to find a table next to some beautiful planters, just before a group of players of the college soccer team take a seat.

"Dude, did you see how that chick looked at us? She creeps me out, let's sit elsewhere." I hear the shortest one saying to his friends and they go away. On the other hand, my friend sits on the chair like it is the Iron throne and with the attitude of a true winner.

"It's amazing what you can do with one glare!" she tells me and turns her hair into a pretty ponytail. Alice is seriously pretty with any hairdo, she can pull anything off.

"So what are we getting?" she passes me the menu.

"Well, yesterday we ate Mexican, the day before pizza and the day before that pizza again.."

"Burgers it is then!" she gives me a thumps up. She never loses her good mood and smile. Now that I'm thinking about it, never except that one time we went to the movies with Sophie and Joseph. Joseph is the exception as it seems. I don't know exactly what they were saying all night long but every single person at the cinema gave them multiple warnings. It was kind of funny to be honest, but and Sophie and I moved two rows in the front to be able to watch the movie.