Chapter 93

Notes:

Additional Cast:

Chris Wood as Daniel Alexander Nelson

Meghan Ory as Claire

Joseph's POV

Everything seems in place. Cushions in order on couch and the coffee table without any dust or any bits of food. The whole place is tidied and clean. At least to me. I am sure Sophie can find something to ascribe to me, but it's the second time I am so thorough in cleaning. The first was the first time me and Alice slept together. We made the place a mess with our clothes tossed everywhere on the floor, but at least it was clean. She had come to my place before(unexpectedly), but that time it was special, so I couldn't leave the place like a Neaterdal's cave.

Anyway, this time the cleaning occasion is not because of Alice, but because of my brother. Dan is coming to my place for the first time in the three years I've been living here. I've been in his place in Boston before, due to his both graduations; Bachelor and Masters, but he's never been to mine. I thought I couldn't care less on making a good impression to my brother, since we lived together for many years at the parental house, but as I said I am not a caveman. I should present a decent house like my mother would say. Not to mention, I am sure Daniel will leave a full report after his visit to our parents and I am in no mood to listen to my father's judgemental comments or my mum's quick rave about not cleaning. Sophie would tell me off as well, so I saved myself a hell of a lecture.

I sit comfortably on the sofa and I look at the time. Dan will be here any minute. He and his fiancee, Olivia, arrived at Silver City this morning and they will stay for four days, because they are guests and presenters at some seminars, taking place in SCU. Dan and Olivia didn't have much time to rest, due to preparations, but I received a call around noon, in which Dan said he wanted to hang out. Olivia couldn't follow, so it's going to be the two of us. It's been a very long time since me and him have gone somewhere, just the two brothers, and I can't hide that I am intrigued to see how this will go.

Dan insisted to come home at first, to see my place and greet Sophie. He actually proposed Sophie to join us, but Sophie being a wreck the last week declined. I made the offer if she wanted me and Dan to stay here, but she declined that as well. Honestly, things are getting worse and I don't know what to do or say. I am trying to be the supportive and funny big brother, but all my attempts are in vain. Sometimes I wanna pick up the phone and call her irrational mother and shout to her "JUST CALL YOUR DAUGHTER YOU INSENSITIVE BITCH!", but I'd probably make things way worse.

My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of the door. Sophie has finally decided to leave the kingdom of darkness and join the living. I give her a soft, yet concerned look

"I see you pick up the vacuum machine only when our folks are coming. You could do that more often, but anyway, as Nathan would say. I'm going to take a bath, Vanessa is coming soon." It's the only thing she says, giving me a quick glance.

The moment she disappears into the bathroom, the door phone rings. Dan is here! After a while he appears on my footstep, smiling at me, dressed a bit formally. Black trousers, a light suit navy coat and a white shirt. And of course his glasses... Which are new?

"That's what I call a new fashion update. Cool glasses, bro." I smile brightly at him.

"You think? I had my doubts. Olivia's choice!" he returns the smile.

"That explains a lot. As I've said, keep that woman. She might manage to turn you into a mainstream brand model" I tease him, welcoming him into my house.

"That's a lovely home." Dan remarks, taking a look around. "Sophie's touch is apparent of course, thus the sophisticated style." He keeps on taking strolls into the house. "And by the way, where is she? I wanted to greet her."