Or I'll Kill You Ch. 5

Five

"It was a cold night," Jesse whispered, "And I was out hiking with my brother. It was really dark, and we were freezing. My brother, Michele, and I lost our campsite. We searched forever and forever just to find a small place that had our tent. We were being foolish."

"Yes you were," I agreed, "But continue."

"It got so dark, that we couldn't see anything anymore," He continued, "Michele thought he found the campsite, but ended up falling off a cliff. I could hear him scream, and then fall. It killed me, because I was having family troubles, and the only one who helped me was Michele."

"You poor thing," I cooed in a small whisper.

"I jumped you know," Jesse whispered, "I thought I couldn't live if he wasn't."

"I know," I muttered, "I was watching."

"I didn't die though, not like Michele," Jesse said, "I just suffered in pain. Next thing I knew, everything went black, and I woke up to a beautiful girl standing over me. The other parts are kind of blank."

Jesse gave me a sheepish smile, and a little red covered his cheeks. "Well," I said, "I found you all mingled, and screaming. I changed you, because the moon was up, but it was too late for your brother. I'm sorry. I would have changed him too."

"Was it a new moon?" Jesse asked.

"Yes," I whispered, "It was."

"Then I'm glad you didn't change my brother, then I wouldn't have you all to myself," He told me, and then he kissed my forehead.

"Even if it meant saving your own brother?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Maybe," He whispered, "Maybe not."

"I would have saved him," I told him, "If he meant so much to you that you would jump off that cliff."

Jesse shrugged, and closed his eyes. "I like you like this," He whispered.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Not so hostile," He told me, as he opened his eyes.

"I am not hostile," I shot back.

"Well you're not warm, and loving like this all the time," He told me, hugging me tightly, "You're being soft."

"I'm only soft around you," I told him.

"And Otto, and Teresa," Jesse remarked.

"Whatever," I said, but couldn't help but smile. He smiled too, and gave me a small kiss before closing his eyes again.

"Good night," I whispered.

"Night," He murmured, in a slurred voice.

"I love you," I muttered, and when he didn't answer, I kissed his forehead, and turned back around.

I wanted to wake up Jesse, and ask him if he regretted me turning him into one of us. He never got to see his family again, and was forced to live with people who weren't really his family. I didn't want to wake him though, so I just stayed quiet.

It was really quiet, and I could only hear the small snores Afton made in the room next to us.

I was tired, but my eyes wouldn't close. I couldn't close my eyes. I kept thinking about things I didn't want too. When I did close my eyes though, all I could hear was Jesse's screaming. The way he screamed as he jumped off the cliff and his cries when he was in pain.

Next thing I knew, Jesse was waking me up. "Maeve," He whispered, "Stop screaming, you're going to wake someone else up!"

I sat up, and realized I was crying. "Sorry," I whimpered, "Bad dream, and don't worry, everyone sleeps like dead rocks."