Or I'll Kill You Ch. 22

Twenty Two

When I woke up, I stared at an unfamiliar ceiling. I looked to my side, and saw Matthew and Jesse, both asleep in chairs. I turned my head back straight, reaching my hand up, and touched my head; there was a big bandage on it. I groaned, turned my head to the side again. Jesse stirred at the sound, and looked at me. I looked into his dark eyes, and burst into tears.

"Hey, hey, hey," He whispered, getting up, and coming towards me. He knelt down by the bed, and pushed the hair out of my face. "What hurts," He asked, "What's wrong? What can I do?"

"I'm an awful person," I cried, a tear slowly streaming down my cheek.

"What're you talking about?" He questioned, searching my eyes for the answer.

I held onto his blue shirt. "I don't hate you," I cried, "And no matter what I do it always seems like I do. I told you I loved you, but then turned around and said I hated you! I'm awful!"

"Don't cry," He begged.

"Just kill me please," I pleaded, "I don't want to live with this guilt. I don't want you to be attached to me, while make you feel this way. Please just kill me."

"Now you listen here Maeve Adel Hunter," Jesse snapped, "I don't want you ever to talk like that again. Do you hear me? I will always be there for you, no matter how many times you tell me you hate me."

"You're only going to be here because of the new moon," I cried, "You don't really love me. If you walked away from me, you'd be destroyed forever. That's just the way it is."

"Stop talking like that," Jesse snapped, "Please Maeve, stop. That's not the reason. I want you to know that! Alright? I forgive you, and I'm going to stay here until you get better, and I'm going to stay long after that. I love you Mae."

Another tear rolled down my cheek, and I whispered, "I love you too."

He held my face in his hands, and kissed me gently on the forehead. When he pulled back he gave me a small smile. "Well I'm glad we made up," Matthew muttered, giving a small stretch, and then walking to the other side of my bed.

"How are you out before I am?" I asked.

"Good to see you too," He smiled.

I rolled my eyes, and said, "It's good to see you're alive."

He kissed me on the forehead, and then grabbed my hand and kissed that too. "How are you out before I am?" I repeated.

"You've been out for a long time," He sighed, "We started to get worried."

"What did they do to you?" I asked.

"About 30 stitches," He sighed, "But they'll dissolve. They hurt a little right now, but I'll be alright."

"What did they do to me?" I asked.

"They stitched you up in the back of your head," Jesse answered, "There was a big gap. You'll be alright though."

"Will my stitches dissolve too?" I asked.

"Don't worry," Matthew laughed, "You'll be fine."

I gave him a weak smile, and closed my eyes. "Are you hurt?" Jesse asked, "Does it hurt?"

"A little," I moaned, "But I'll be alright, I think."

When I opened my eyes, both Matthew and Jesse were staring at me with worried eyes. I rolled my eyes at them, and that lessened their pain. I held my free hand out, and Jesse took it in his. I held tightly to both of them, and could feel the anger they both had that they had to share me. I could feel it vibrate off their skin, but neither of them showed it. They both wanted to make me happy, and the only way that would happen was if I had both of them.

A nurse walked in, and when she saw me she smiled. "Well hello Miss Hunter," She said, "I'm glad to see your up. These two wouldn't stop badgering me."

"I hope they weren't too much trouble," I smiled.

"Oh no," She laughed, "They were just both extremely worried about you. They always stayed in the room, and when one had to leave the other stayed to make sure if you woke up you'd have someone to wake up to."

"That's sweet," I murmured, looking at both of them.

"Yup, wish I had a man like that," She grumbled, "Would you like to share one?"

I looked over at Matthew and then at Jesse. When I looked back at the nurse, she just raised an eyebrow. "No thanks," I whispered, "I need them both."

"Fine," She sighed, but gave me a small smile.

"So when do we get to take her home?" Jesse asked, "We have some things to deal with."

"She'll be able to leave tomorrow morning. We just want to keep her over night to make sure everything's alright," She explained, and then left the room.

"What did you do?" I asked, looking up at Jesse, "With the, um, bodies?"

He leaned down, and kissed me on the forehead. "It's taken care of," He whispered, "Don't you worry your pretty little head about it!"

"Otto?" I murmured.

"He's taken care of," Jesse assured me, "Don't worry Mae, I made sure he was safe and sleeping peacefully. He would have loved it. I buried him deep in the park, where he loved to be."

I started to tear up again. "Thank you," I murmured.

"Please don't cry again," Matthew begged, "You've cried so much, and I don't want to see you cry again."

"I don't know what's wrong with me," I cried, wiping under my eyes.

"She's human," Matthew cheered, looking up at Jesse, who wore a winning smile.

"Stop," I moaned, and buried my face in the hospital pillow. They both laughed, and sat on the end of my bed. I curled my legs up, and then lay them on Jesse's lap. He held them tightly, and kissed them through the blankets.

"I told Max's parents," Jesse whispered, "I told them he got in a car accident, and part of the door went into his neck. It's not the best story, but it'll work."

"I feel so bad," I groaned, "He didn't know what he was getting himself into." Then I remembered something. Max's last words were sorry man, I couldn't help it. What did he mean by that? He was just staring at me...and pressing his hand to my cheek.

Max was apologizing for touching me. He said he couldn't resist, so I guess that meant he loved me too. Great how many flies were going to fly into my web?

"That was a shame," Jesse agreed, "But there was nothing to do. I know it's hard on you Mae, but there was really nothing. I'm sorry Mae."

"It's alright," I sighed, "I know you're right."

"So what should we do now?" Matthew asked.

There was so much I had to do; the top of my list was getting better. Of course I would do that quickly though, because I wouldn't be able to stay in bed forever. That would make me cranky.

"We have to tell the family," I whispered, "And we should do it soon."

"Maeve's right," Jesse agreed, "I don't want too, but we'll have to. Joyce would want to what happened to Otto."

I bit my bottom lip, and nodded.

"Alright," Matthew sighed, "As soon as Maeve gets out of the hospital. And Maeve was right, we should get there soon. The sooner the better."

Jesse and I nodded, and now the thing I feared most was going home to tell them I failed.