Two

phil

i was startled when my friend, carson, struck the boy across the face. "dude! you can't do that, you could get us into trouble if we get caught again, and you know i already have a horrible reputation with this school!" i hissed at Carson as i grabbed the sides of the table.

"relax, we won't tell anyone because if he does he's gonna get something worse." carson growled, more to the boy than at me.

i rolled my eyes and eyed down the boy. he was dressed in girl's clothes, and it was creeping me the fuck out. "so kid are you like gay or something? because the way you dress is not for boys." carson asked.

"why would you care?" the boy asked and continued to rub the side of his face where carson struck him. i didn't feel bad for the boy because i didn't know who he was and he was already creepy from the start.

"fuck it." Carson said and sat back down next to me. he smiled brightly and acted like he was the most loveable five year old anyone would want to have.

"mrs jackson!" he giggled and the teacher looked over to us, slowly walking over. i stared at him in disbelief, he was never a sweet angel, he was the complete fucking opposite.

"yes, carson?" she asked and smiled.

"what's this young mans name?" he asked and pointed to the boy with brown eyes.

mrs jackson looked over to the boy and smiled, "that's dan howell. he doesn't like going by his full name so we just call him dan." she said and smiled, like she couldn't see the desperate pleading 'NO's' in his mind.

"wait. what's his full name?" carson pushed further.

mrs jackson bit her lip, "can i tell him, dan?" she asked. dan shook his head frantically and it seemed like his eyes were about out of his head. she smiled at him and patted his head reassuringly before walking back to her desk to do whatever she was doing.

dan looked back down at his drawing, covering it more with his arms. carson turned back to me and rolled his eyes, "probably gay or something." he said before he took his phone out from his pocket and started texting his girlfriend. his girlfriend is a bitch and I honestly want to stay away from her at all times. ariana, his girlfriend, only dated him for a month because she wanted to get closer to me but now she 'likes' him, i could care less because i never liked her, romantically or as a person.

i was still curious about Dan, the way he pulled on his hair to make it seem like he wasn't even here and the way his brown eyes would sparkle with fear when mrs jackson wanted to tell his name. but his lips... the way they trembled in fear. i couldn't get the image away from my mind. but what was really pulling at my strings was what he was drawing. i looked down at the backpack that was at his side and i smirked. i slowly knelt down to the ground and crawled over to his table.

it wasn't far away but i had to be quiet so he didn't hear me. he was too focused on his drawing anyways. i grabbed it with both of my hands and stood up slowly, making my way back to my desk. i wasn't gonna look inside it because he would surely see me here, so i was going to wait until after class or possibly do it in my next class and just leave it at his locker after that hour.

there was only ten minutes till this hour was over and I was free to look inside. this was the most intense i ever was at a staring contest with a clock. i drummed my fingers quietly on the table and looked back over to dan. the back of his head was facing me and i could see the eraser from his pencil swaying from side to side, meaning he was writing or drawing. probably drawing.

finally! the bell rang and i sprung up and ran out, looking back at dan before i walked out the door. his head was up but he wasn't exactly looking at where his backpack was. good. i ran to my next class, good thing dan isn't in the same class as me for this hour. as i got into my seat in the way back i unzipped the zipper and my eyes widened at the sight i saw.

there seemed like millions of drawing books inside, it was like a maze that was for you eyes, with colored pencils, pens, pencils, paints, watercolors, pastel coloring crayons, it was like a artists fantasy in just a backpack. i took out all the drawing books which was about fifteen, and opened one with a brown cover, the first page made my jaw drop and my eyes scatter all over.

drawings of people, animals, nature, famous people, and just random things are what filled these books. it was like i was instantly closer to dan, like i could just touch him and feel him through a mirror, it's like we've known each other forever and yet i just met him today, this was insane. and when i got to the sixth book, something hit me. i felt guilty, and a lot of guilt was being pressured.

i wanted to look more but i stopped at one drawing. someone was lying helpless on the ground, with black blood pouring out from them as they were reaching out for someone, that kind of looked like me. i looked back to the helpless person, who kinda looked like dan. did he know me and i just didn't know? has he ever seen me around before? no, that can't be possible, school just started a month ago and i came here a week and a half after it stated, so he couldn't know me this well.

i ripped it out and tossed it into my pocket, which started making me feel more guilty, but i liked it too much that I needed to keep it. i skimmed through the rest, my mind still on the drawing that was pressed against my jeans and skin. And when i was done i stuffed them back inside the backpack and stared at the teacher that was babbling on about science. mind still on that one drawing. also on another that i saw about a rose wrapped around bleeding fingers.

there was so much i wanted to know about this boy that i was practically out of my seat.