Thirty-One

dan

i awoke to an extreme pain in my backside and be blinded with strong sunlight. i was surprised it was even sunny knowing the amounts of snow that were piled on the streets and roofs. i looked to my side and groaned when i saw a shirtless phil to my left, his back flexing calmly.

i plopped down beside him again and angrily pushed my palms into my eyes.

"dan?" phil murmured and turned to me, gently lifting my hands away from my face before my eyes fell out of their sockets.

"we had sex, phil."

"okay? what's so bad about that?"

"nothing. it's just- i don't know." i said and turned away from him.

i mean yes, i did consent. and yes, i wanted it to happen. but i'm still young and still in high school, so why do i feel so dirty and gross about it?

"daniel?" 

"don't call me that."

"sorry," phil hesitated, "dan what's wrong? did you not want that to happen?" he asked and rested a cold hand on my warm shoulder, making me shiver.

"i did want it to happen, it's just that i'm still in high school so it's making me feel weird." i spoke.

phil chuckled, "god i love you. it's alright, almost all of high schoolers lose their virginity in high school. it's normal. don't feel like it's a bad thing. well it is if we were younger but we're practically adults now." he planted a kiss on my forehead and pulled his hands through my hair.

i laid down on my back and closed my eyes, letting the 'i love you' sink in as he soothingly rubbed my scalp with his bitten fingernails.

"did i hear an 'i love you' come through your mouth, lester?" i smirked.

phil paused for a moment before continuing, "maybe, maybe not, howell."

i laughed and inched closer to him, "so what does this mean?"

"i don't know. do you want to go out with me?" he looked down at me through his messy fringe.

"wow so romantic."

he raised an eyebrow.

"yes." i smiled.

"you know, it's crazy how we got here. i would have never even given you a second glance if it wasn't for carson and tanner. i'm really sorry for their actions, i didn't think they would do it." he apologized.

as much as i was close with phil and now that we are now dating i did not want to hear this right now. i didn't want to be reminded of my hospital visit and how i was beaten senseless with him just watching. i should have never forgiven him but my god he was just perfect.

and as much as i want to get him back for it, i can't. because i don't want to hurt him.

"dan? are you thinking about how you're gonna kill me in that brain? speak to me." phil tapped my forehead with his finger until i pushed his hand away, glaring at him.

"wow we just became boyfriends and now you want to pick a fight." phil teased.

"no, i just don't want to be reminded of that night. it still haunts me, phil." i sat at the edge of the bed, slipping on my jeans and buttoning them.

phil got up, following my actions and quickly putting on his jeans but purposely leaving off his shirt to tease me and threw me mine. i pulled mine over my head and looked down at the loose black cotton fabric. i frowned at what i was wearing, it wasn't my style. i haven't worn my skirts or fancy shirts for the past two days.

"let's go downstairs and get breakfast, i'm a grouch in the mornings without coffee." phil said and left his room, giving me no choice but to follow.

the walls were a tinted light blue, with photos of phil with older humans, which i assumed were his parents. his apartment was nice for one who only belonged to only one person. and it was shockingly clean, i would have expected pizza boxes in every room with flies swarming over them and socks that haven't been clean since the year before but where i was right now i would even be surprised if there was a speck of dust. was this really his place?

"i didn't expect you place to look this... clean." that sounded rude. oh well.

"what did you expect? for me to be a mess?" phil quirked an eyebrow and grabbed two mugs from the cupboard and setting them next to the coffee machine which was making a small humming sound, processing through the coffee.

i shrugged, "do you live on your own?"

"yeah. and you're probably wondering how i got the money to pay for rent and bills. well my family is kinda rich so.. but i also have a job at the mall. in starbucks."

i death glared him, "you are such a basic bitch."

he laughed, "you love it."

i blushed and opened my mouth to say something but i was interrupted by the machine behind phil making an ugly groaning noise.

"it's the demogorgon!" i joked.

he turned around to me and rolled his eyes before turning back around to pour us both cups of coffee. after a few minutes he turned around to me and slid me a mug that looked like one you would buy at disneyland. i picked it up, stirring it around before lifting it to my lips and connecting my tongue with the bitter taste.

i slowly put it back down on the counter and smacked my lips before looking up to meet phils wondrous blue eyes.

"it's bitter."

"just how i like it."

"your disgusting." i smiled, putting my elbows on the counter and placing my chin in them, staring at him with my full hearts content.