Chapter 23: A Reason to Stay

Just a fair warning, unholy things happen in this chapter ;). Important info at the end.

"If I had known you were pregnant I would never have let you go." Alessandro mentions for probably the tenth time.

I was laying down on the couch in his office with a bucket by my side. The pillows were strewn all over the floor. Dimitri sat at the opposite end of the couch with my feet in his lap. He rubbed them absentmindedly as Alessandro spoke to me.

"I kicked my own flesh and blood out into the streets." He mutters angrily.

"Padre, you didn't know." Dimitri chimes in. "It's my son. I'm the one who should've been there. Instead I was off in Italy doing some stupid job for Giovanni."

"You should've come back the minute you realized you had something that belonged to the family." Alessandro scolds me.

"Well I'm sorry if I didn't want my son growing up in a house full of murderers." I say with an insincere smile.

"You will not disrespect my family." Alessandro warns in a low, threatening voice.

"Me? I would never!" I mock and Dimitri places a warning hand on my knee.

"That baby is the only thing keeping you alive right now."

"Funny you say that, I've been getting that a lot lately." I smile bitterly.

"Okay, that's enough." Dimitri says, standing up and moving my feet aside.

"I agree. We'll finish this conversation under more pleasant circumstances." Alessandro dismisses us and Dimitri quickly ushers me out of the room.

"What the hell were you doing in there?" Dimitri hisses.

"Having a conversation?" I say innocently.

"You know what I mean." He growls

I pull my arm out of his grip. "What do you want me to say? I don't want to be here! I don't like feeling trapped! I hate how you can be so cold hearted and yet I still can't stop fucking loving you!" I scream, tears brimming in my eyes.

Dimitri stares at me for a few seconds, opens his mouth and closes it. At a loss for words, he steps forward. For the first time since I've met him, he moves with uncertainty. He slowly brings an arm around my waist, securing me to him. His other hand makes its way to my neck and he tangles his fingers in my hair.

"Annabelle... I don't ever want you to think I don't care about you. Sure, we didn't meet in the best of ways and sometimes you're a huge pain in my ass, but I wouldn't have you any other way. If you were any different than you are now, you wouldn't be Annabelle. You wouldn't be the woman I love. I know I don't always show it, but I do love you Annabelle. I'm not used to this whole relationship thing. I really am trying. Please don't give up on us so quickly. I know I get angry, but I don't want you to be scared of me. I'll never hurt you again." I raise an eyebrow. He looks down at my lips and my heart skips a beat.

As much as I hate to admit it, the moment his lips touch mine, I let out a sigh of content. The kiss starts slow and gentle, almost timid, but the second I bring my arms up from my side to hold on to him, he deepens the kiss. I tug his hair gently and he lets out a groan. My heart flutters when he lifts me up and pushes me against the wall. His mouth makes its way across my jawline and down my neck, going dangerously low.

"Dimitri..." I breathe.

"I've got you." He whispers, pulling away from the wall and walking up the stairs.

"Where are we going?"

"Back to my room." He whispers, kissing my neck softly. "I'm going to make love to you." He whispers gently in my ear.