Two: Unexpected

"You don't talk back at me." My head snapped to the side, it burned.

"I am sorry." I muttered. Anger boiled within me but I held it. My cheeks throb painfully.

"You are just like your dead father." He spat. "I am sure his numerous male partners led him to his death."

I glared. My fist clenched in anger. The waves crashed heavily over the wall of restraint I pulled up. It became difficult each second to hold up.

"My father has nothing to do with this." I mumbled again picking up the broken pieces of his beer mug. I shivered at his sight. Nick wasn't ugly or fat rather he has a devilish kind of cuteness. Nobody would imagine him as an abusive, cruel and selfish drunk.

"What did you say?" he grumbled.

I shook my head moving quickly from his reach. "I will get you another." I dumped the pieces unceremoniously into the bin before fetching another beer mug.

"Is that all?" I glared.

He looked me over. The burning desire in his eyes was glaring. His jaw tightened as I frowned deeply. "Wipe that glare off your face before I do it for you." He waved me off.

I let my bedroom door slam loudly resonating throughout the house. It was the only way I could express my feelings. I groaned into my pillow wishing I could get rid of Nick. My hand pulled my bed sheets as I clenched them into a fist. My jaw tightened as I let off some of the steam I'd bottled in.

I hate you. I yelled in my mind.

"Can we go to the park?" Berry skipped into my room.

"It is getting late, Berry." I heaved then turned to face her. I buried my face instantly into my pillow again when I saw her began to pout and make a face. "It won't work."

"Please." She jumped on my back.

"No."

"Leo." She sing-song. "Its three hours till sunset."

"I know but no."

"Two hours will do." She said.

"Not a chance."

"An hour?" She suggested.

"Still no."

She remained silent. She hopped from my back but the dip in the bed still announced her presence. I cautiously lifted my face to meet hers.

"What?" I asked her. Her face was void of the puppy look. She looked calm and preoccupied.

"You can calm your raging self in the park." She replied.

My heart skipped a beat. "My raging self?"

She rolled her eyes. "I know what is going on Leo."

I sat upright in a flash. "You do?"

She nodded. "I don't understand why he hurts you." She shifted closer. "What I don't understand more is why you won't tell mum about it." I marvelled at her words. It isn't what every eight years old would say. "It will make you feel better if you tell, I think."

I wrapped my arms around her. "I know."

"But..." she cut in. I raised a brow. She shrugged. "there is always a but, right?"

I chuckled. "You too wise for your age."

"It is becoming a cliché for you." She giggled.

I patted her head. "But I don't want mum fighting him and becoming heartbroken again."