Fourteen: Out In The Rain

“Hello Leo! I have been waiting for you.” He greeted with a smile.

My heart jumped with fear of not just the boom of thunder outside that ushered down the heavy raindrops but also the bright blue eyes that stared back at me. He sat comfortably with Bella by his side and my mum across him. A lady sat by Nick who had a face void of emotions. She smiled broadly at me like I was a jackpot. Her eyes glinted with joy.

“Bella.” I called instinctively.

“She is safe.” The boy answered immediately patting her head. “She is lovely, you know?” He smiled at her then at me.

“Do you know him?” Charles whispered in my ear.

“Yes, he does.” He said aloud daring me with his eyes to say otherwise. I shivered slightly. I sensed Charles felt my tenseness, he held my hand tightly in his.

“Leo?” he called.

I peered at the boy. He look a bit older but something told me he was around same age as me. He looked far too handsome as he sat there calmly with a smile that didn’t waver a bit. He had a knowing look on. My heart leaped as his hand moved down Bella’s head to her neck. My eyes drifted back to his and his smile broadened. His eyes said it all.

That’s impossible. I thought to myself. They don’t exist. They are nothing but fairytales. Vampires don’t exist.

“Impossible…..” I mumbled.

“….yet possible.” He rose to his feet. Charles and I took an uneasy step back.

The lady rose to. “There is no need to fear, Leo. He isn’t here to harm you.” She smiled warmly. “I guess you know who he is already.”

“You mean what.” I retorted rather coldly.

She sighed then nodded. I noticed the disapproval on his face for a second. He sat back again pulling Bella closer to his side. Bella looked calm but her eyes never left mine.

“I assure you there is nothing to fear. Take a seat.” She gestured to the sofa across her.

“What is this about?” Charles asked.

“I am sorry.” I faced him. “I should have told you about this sooner.”

“What didn’t you tell me?” he glanced at the boy then at me again.

“I’m sure you’d understand in a few.” The lady answered. Charles gave her a long stare then turned to me. He waited for my response. My gaze drifted to my mum’s. she sat rigidly with her eyes fixed on a spot on the floor.

“We don’t have to stay.” Charles nudged.

I jumped slightly as lightening flashed brightly across the sky. A low thunder rumbled seconds later. My eyes and the boy met, a small smile tugged his lips. I couldn’t shake the feeling that he had something to do with the storm.

“I don’t think you have a choice.” The smile appeared again.

“No, we don’t.” I faced Charles. “Stay with me?”

He smiled. “I had no intension of leaving.”

“You wouldn’t even make it home if you left.” The boy said absently.

I frowned. “Why say that?”

He turned to me with an unreadable look. “Bad things happen in storms like this.”

My heart skipped a beat for a second. His word brought Andy’s memories to the surface. I shivered as the last night flashed across my mind.

“…..but you have me.” He added. “I won’t let anything happen to you on my watch.”