Twenty Two

The large hall was lit up by several electric candles and two huge crystal chandeliers hanging from atop the high ceiling, both separated by an open dome to let in the soft lights of the moon.

At the mention of a banquet, a crowd of nicely dressed people with several glasses of wines or other drinks as well as assorted delicacies accompanied with the soft rhythm of music will come mind. However, it all depends on the host and the reason behind the banquet.

Same could be seen in the brightly lit hall but one thing was missing. The food or drinks. I shuddered at the thought of us serving as food for the vampires whose eyes were now trained on us. They ranged from old to young looking. Though the males populated the crowd, I couldn't but admire some of the beautiful females in their midst.

"Is it me or are they all staring at you?" I heard Maggie say behind me.

Charles soft snarls confirmed it. I moved behind him.

"They are looking at both of you." Lana whispered.

It was like nothing I'd expected. Their eyes flashed hungrily as they continued to stare. They continually sniffed the air.

"Back off!" Harry held out a palm at a vampire lady that hurried towards us. She snarled just as loudly as Harry.

"Harry..." I shivered at the voice. It was just like the first time I remembered in the forest. It came out just in the same singsong tone. I somehow began to relax without much effort.

"It is unfair to keep our guests waiting." He came out. He looked handsome in a weird way. His long black caped leathery robe hugged his tall frame tightly. His guests parted as he walked down the raised platform ahead. On it were three tall chairs with a smaller one beside the chair in the middle.

He flicked his hand at Harry who seem to understand what his master was saying already. Harry turned to the guarding vampires. With a single nod from him, they shuffled towards us. In a blur, Maggie, Quinton, Lana, Charles and I were the only ones left untouched. Others somehow had found their way into the arms of each of the guests. Some of them were already feeding.

I shivered at look on his face. I heard Charles growl lowly as Rick's eyes raped me. His hand tightened against my wrist.

"Welcome!" He walked towards then pass us with his arms open. We all turn to see him hug two equally tall men. One was very pale with a long braided hair while the other was black in complexion with a cropped haircut and he was the bulkiest of them three. He towered a few inches over Rick and the pale vampire. I shivered as my eyes raked over his body. I was somehow fascinated by him. I watched how his muscles flexed underneath the long coat he wore. The three of them had a different look and aura but one thing was common, they all had red eyes.

"Lord Avrick." Lana pointed at the pale vampire. "is the Overlord of the Southern lands. He may look innocent and kiddish but he is a force to reckon with."

"and the black?" I heard Charles ask.

"Lord Toby." I saw Lana shiver slightly. Our gaze met. Her black eyes seem to blackened the more. "Lord of the vast Westland. You don't want to mess with him." She shook her head.

Charles snarled lowly. He drew me into his body then rubbed my shoulders soothingly. His red eyes stared deep into mine. He gave a small smile. I smiled back letting out the breathe I unconsciously held only for me to hold it back just as them three pairs of eyes snapped at me.

I burrowed into Charles side trying as much as possible to be out of their line of sight. Charles got the hint. He covered me with his body almost like a mother hen would do to her chicks at the sight of a hawk.