Seventeen

Horror shown in movies were nothing compared to the things I saw in Rick's manor. I underrated Rick's words when he said there were more horrors for me to see. The images I related it with in my mind were mild and almost insignificant to the things that happen in the pits of his manor.

The exterior of the manor was beautiful and lavishly decorated so was some parts of the interior but the deeper one goes the horrific it becomes. The most horrifying place of all is the pit. The home of all bloodbags, vampires and human alike. The smell alone is hazardous. It was worse than a sewage tank. Everywhere stinks with blood and torn decaying human organs. It was a whole underground housing hundred of humans and vampires.

"You should eat that before someone else comes for it." Margaret nudged me.

I peered at the aged woman. Her face held a certain beauty the scars and bruises that decorated it. Her dirty brown hair fold in a bun accentuated a light brown eyes that shine with nothing but love and care since the very moment she laid her eyes on me.

"I will." I drew the dirty pan closer.

"I told you not to think of it." she pushed the pan closer. "You will get used to it."

Tears pooled in my eyes. I did as she always said. I imagine eating my favorite. Waffles and syrups with hot cocoa. The thought brought Berry's imagine to my mind. I choked down a sob as  her smiling face urged me to eat.

"You need your strength, Leo." her image said to me. "I am expecting you back home, brother. You said you'd never leave me, remember?"

I sobbed trying not to taste the food. In minutes I downed the while content. My stomach churned for a second then settled.

"Good boy." Margaret patted my head. She shuffled me into her arms. "You'll be fine."

"I am fine."

She chuckled. "Good to see you putting up a brave face."

My eyes darted to the side as a brawl ensued. A group of vampire caught a sickly girl. I winched as I watch them fed on her hungrily. Her body soon turned into a sickening mess of blood and tissue as others joined in.

"Not to worry. They know who to attack and who not to attack." Margaret said. I looked her in the eyes. She smiled. "There are strict rules in the pit even though there isn't a leader. Rick makes an awful example of anybody who breaks them, be it a vampire or a human. No vampire can feed on an healthy human in the pit. They can only go for the sick ones." she gestured. "Like her." I gulped. "Now you know why you need your strength."

"There won't be much you can do if I am sick." I stated.

Her face darkened. "Yes, Leo." she sighed. "Nothing."

We remained silent. My ears twitched at the moaning of some human. Some of Rick's minions dumped some vampires and looked around for new ones to serve as the day's meal. My heart sank as they pulled a young girl out of the crowd of vampires that huddled together. Her comrades snarled but didn't put much of a fight.

"She won't be coming back." Margaret mumbled with a sad voice. My eyes glistened with tears as they took her away.

"How do you know?"

She sighed. "I have been here many years, Leo. I know." She patted my head.

"This is cruel." I sobbed.

Margaret tightened her arms around me. "It wasn't always like this. It grew worse when the war started."

"Tell me about it." I peered at her.

She gave a small smile. "The war still rages though quietly as the new people they brought in says. The usurpers against the royals."

"The royals?" I raised a brow.