Twenty

"He is dead, m'boy."

Those words shook me to my core. They resonated through my being. I stared at Charles' unresponsive body. His eyes stared away into nothingness.

"He's just exhausted." I shook my head in denial. I refused to accept what was happening. Charles laid still and breathless in my arms. Everything indicated he was truly gone but I refused to acknowledge it.

I wiped the blood from his face with my cloth. I ignored the sad look on Margaret. Tears pool in her eyes as she continued watching me clean Charles body. She hesitated but later helped as I struggled to place his body closer to the wall away from prying eyes. Tears brimmed in my eyes. I refused to let them down anymore.

"You will be fine." I smiled painfully patting his head.

"Leo." Margaret called.

I peeked at her. "He is just exhausted. He will wake."

Margaret shook head. "Leo, he's gone."

I shook my head. "No, he isn't. I will ask Lana to bring something for him to get better." I turned to look at him. He remained still. He's chest didn't fall or rise. It began to dawn on me.

"Charles." I shook him. "Wake up. Charles, please wake up." I choke down a sob. "Charles....."

"Wake up, Leo." A hand shook me. "Wake up!"

My eyes flung open. I inhaled sharply. My cheeks were wet from my tears. I shivered at the cold hand that gripped my shoulders firmly.

"It's okay. It's just a dream."

I blinked at the the red eyes that stared back at me. Nothing has changed except the eyes. They glowed red.

"Charles." I croaked.

He smiled. "I am here. You were dreaming."

I allowed him pull me into his arms. "I can't get it out of my head."

"I can imagine how hard it was for you to see me die." He kissed my head. "but I am back with you now and I won't be leaving you again."

I sniffle. "Please don't." I hugged him tightly still yet to fully believe Charles is back with me.

It's been two weeks now since he woke back up. He gave Margaret and her friend quite a scare. I was frightened as well to see him back up. Margaret looked petrified as she beheld him. His red eyes glowed brightly. He took in the environment before his gaze landed on me. It took all everything in me not to run as he lunged at me. Margaret squeaked in fright. I stilled allowing him inhale me.

"Leo." He voiced. His eyes dimmed a bit as he stared intently at me.

"You're thinking again." Charles chuckled.

I smiled. "I can't help it. I was worried."

"and I see you are still." he smiled back.

"I still can't digest the fact that you now a vampire."

He gave a short laugh. It was quite different from his usual. He sounded more mature. "I am still the same, not just human anymore."

"How?" I asked dumbly.

"I have explained this several times." He sighed. "I was bitten before I was caught by Rick's minions, Leo."

"That doesn't explain why you have red eyes instead of blue." Margaret sat down. "Here he handed me a dry bread. Eat." she said with a stern voice.

I'd come to know when and when not to argue with her. I took a small bite quickly.

She glanced around nervously then reach for the inside of her cotton overall. "Here." She snuck a small bottle wrapped with a dirty cloth. She handed it to Charles. "Drink up. That should suffice for now."