Twenty One

Charles didn't let go of my hand for a second. He snarled as several eyes landed on us as soon as we exited the pit and into the Manor. The air smelt differently from that in the pit. I took in a few breathe hoping to expel the stale odour from my lungs. The air was pure. Instead of the foul smell of decaying flesh and blood, it had a nice flowery smell. It drifted in so gently as we passed the top to bottom windows.

We marched along with the rest of the chosen bloodbags. Some of them were in tears already. Some had a stoic look on. I guess they've made their mind up. It was highly certain most of us wouldn't make it back. I looked ahead catching a glimpse of Margaret's grey hair neatly tied in a bun. Her hand solidly in Quinton's. I knew they were more than friends although they don't let it show. I'd seen them few times staring lovingly and exchanging sweet words. Times when Maggie thought I was very much asleep.

"Stop it Charles." I nudged after he snarled at a vampire. I saw the vampire jump back in fright. Charles really looked scary with the red eyes. His fangs flash dangerously. I shuddered at the sight.

"They shouldn't stare at you then." He replied without taking his eyes off the vampires around.

I chuckled. "It is no time to be jealous, Charles. You can't expect them not to look."

"Look they may but not stare." He breathed. "You are mine." He held my wrist tighter.

I tried not to winch. "I know and I am sure you have made yourself very clear." I rubbed his shoulders. "You can drop the intimidating look now."

He turned to stare at me then sighed loosing the look all together. His red eyes dimmed. He looked calm and less frightening.

"Good." I shunned everything and everyone around and kissed him. He looked surprised. "You are mine too and I am not afraid to show it."

He smirked. "You are getting bolder."

I shrugged. "I guess it's time I take control of my life."

He nodded. "Good to hear that."

"As long as you are with me...."

"..... I will never leave you." he cut in.

I smiled. "nonetheless, I am not afraid as long as you are with me."

"I will always be with you."

"I want to believe you." Harry voiced beside us. Charles snarled. Harry looked unafraid. "I am sure after all is said and done, you will be far apart from your....darling." he stressed the last part while eyeing me like a piece of cake.

I held Charles as he tensed. "Let that time come, till then we will be together." I said with a shaky voice. I knew deep down he was right. Whatever Rick decides, something is sure, Charles will not be returning to the pit with me even I somehow manage to live past the night.

"I want to see Rick try separate us." Charles sneered.

Harry gave us both a look before moving away barking out orders. I shivered at his commanding voice.

"Get yourselves washed." He yelled. "You all better be squeaky clean and well dressed else you will wish for a quicker death." He gave us one last look before moving away.

They herded us all into a big room. Clothes and other body accessories were scattered around. At the far end was a door leading to another room.

"The bath is in there." One of the vampires pointed at the door. "Wash up and feel free to adorn yourself with anything you find suitable. The banquet starts in three hours. You all better be ready by then." He exited the room with the other vampires. I shivered as the door slam shut. A loud click indicated it being locked from the other side.