Eleven: Hope

It was just as he told me. Time was a bit different in this dimension. I stood with my hands in my pocket watching all the ignorant humans move around about their life. I marvelled at the way the ventured about, oblivious to the dangers around them.

I inhaled deeply drawing in the sweet aroma of their bloods. Most were enticing and rich with life while few others were just as repelling as their physical look. I lifted my nose in distaste. My watchful eyes caught most of their moves as stealthy as they tried it to be; from the kid that pick pocketed around the park to the deceitful boyfriend that handed out his contact stylishly to other girls while hand in hand with his lover. I smiled at the little boy stealing cookies from the picnic basket while his parents chat away. I shook my head at the little butterfly pollinating a flower while oblivious to fact that it would end up in the belly of a bird in few seconds. I blinked just as the bird plucked it from the colourful petal seconds later. My eyes drifted around watching closely the naïve walking blood bags. I wondered what their thoughts would be if they ever find out what kind of being I am.

Be stealthy as you can. Don't show yourself no matter what. His voice rang in my head.

I let out the breath I'd held unconsciously. My eyes turned to the cloudy sky. I could tell how sunny it was above the layers of clouds but the black thick storm cloud had blanketed it off reducing the temperature to the barest minimum for my sake. It wouldn't have matter in my world has the sun's temperature is safe and harmless to our kind. Then, it occurred to me why he sent me here and not other capable, older and stronger vampire.

I sighed as nature struggled with me. I willed more storm clouds to cover the little ray of sunlight that escaped. I smiled inwardly as the day blackened the more with flashes of lightening spreading across the sky. I allowed a low rumble of thunder echo across the sky. I smiled at the effects on the humans in the park. Their face crunched up with an unpleasant gaze towards the sky. In few minutes, the once teaming pack was deserted.

It has been more than a week since I arrived in search for hope. Hope for the survival and continuity of the vampire royal bloodline. It has been more than a century since war has ensued in my world and the endless war between the usurpers and the prince; last of the royal bloodline. It has reached its peak and everything has fallen into total chaos. I took one last look around admiring the peace and orderliness in the air. It was far from the ugly picture back home. There was no more freedom there once was. Our once beautiful landscape had vanished due to the constant battles.

"Hey." I turned to see a lady behind me. A seductive smile plastered on her heavy make-up face.

Blend in as much as possible. Don't make our existence known with your actions. Be careful. His voice rang in my head once more.

I replaced the scowl on my face with a charming smile. I nodded not yet wanting to speak. I could see and feel the effect of my smile on her already. Her heartbeat had picked up as several sex hormones pump into her blood. I could feel the excitement and struggle within her. I wished I could read her mind like some other vampires can do but sadly my powers are restricted to nature.

Her smile broadened. "You haven't moved in a while and I just stopped to know if everything was fine." Her voice thickened with desire. "It is going to rain soon." She pointed to the black sky. I allowed a low rumble of thunder then smiled inside as she shivered. "I could entertain you if you don't have anything doing." She added quickly. Her eyes pleaded with me.

"I don't have anything doing." I leaned down to whisper in her ears. I didn't miss the jolt of excitement that ran down her spine. I smiled inwardly as my voice only increased her desire. I took a quick sniff of her blood. It wasn't bad but neither was it the best.