Twenty Three

"Can I see Maggie and Quinton please?" I peered sheepishly at Edward. I sighed yet again when he remained unresponsive, his face buried in a big book.

A week had passed by since the banquet. Charles and I are yet to step out of what I have come to know as Edward's villa. His own private house even though it is part of the main building. It is exclusive to him and not just anyone can venture in or out carelessly.

Edward looked just like his father; the same tall and lanky body structure. His black hair lengthens down his shoulders. I glanced around at the sea of books surrounding us. Though neatly stacked, they vary in sizes and colours. I shook my head slowly as my eyes caught the big sized one Edward peered into.

His groan pulled me back from my thoughts. I shivered at his sight. I wondered why he had a pair of red eyes while his father's was black and virtually every vampire living in the town.

"Your questions and thoughts are hurting my head." He held his head. "I can't even concentrate. Do you think this much?"

I frowned. "You can hear my thoughts?"

"Yes I can now and they are way too much for me to handle." He rubbed his head. "Great!" He exclaimed.

"What!?" I asked in surprise. I haven't done anything. I thought to myself.

"I can't hear you again." He eyed me for a while. "You will definitely cause havoc if you had entered one of the lands."

I creased my brows in confusion. Havoc? How?

"Merrick said Leo is quite important." Charles walked in. I smiled at the changes in him. He'd grown inches taller with a more pronounced face. He'd begin to bulk up as well. Charles was slowly turning to a walking god.

"Hey!" I leaned into the kiss.

"You are fine?" He smiled. I nodded. We chuckled at the groan and face Edward pulled.

"Please tell me same sex is accepted in your world?" Charles chuckled.

Edward relaxed in his seat. "Almost anything is accepted amongst us vampires. I don't know about the humans."

A thought formed in my mind. "How do you all coexist? Humans and vampires?"

Edward stared at us in silence. He stood up to replace the book. Our gaze followed him as he moved about doing his thing. He settled back in his seat with a glass of blood in his hands minutes later.

He sipped. "According to the history books, our world started out much like yours."

"An alternate world." I chipped in.

He shrugged. "From an experiment gone wrong, my kind evolved. There was endless war until the Queen brought sanity and order with the help of her human spouse. They both created the laws and structures that we follow till this very day. Any human can choose to leave in their lands; the North or amongst the vampire where they are protected under the rule of a human Lord who is subject to reign of the vampire Lord in that region or the Overlord of that land."

"Lana told us Lord Toby rules the Westland and Lord Avrick, the Southern Lands...."

"Lord Ella reigns over the Eastland. Lord Vamio rules the Islands of Tyne." Edward interrupted. "Lord Norma rules the Isle of man in the North while Lord Syllox rules the rest of the North inhabited by vampires."

"...and the Queen reigns supreme." I said.

"...with the Six Overlords and other Lords." Edward added.