Nine: First Love

"Don't hide it, Leo. Talk before you get drowned." Bran's voice echoed in my head. I rolled over unto my back looking straight at my star-covered ceiling. My thoughts revolved round Berry. I'd notice how difficult it became for me to hold myself after the night Mrs Connor brought Berry back home. I glanced at my phone screen as it vibrated. I sighed.

"Hey." I greeted.

"How are you?" His voice echoed through.

"Fine." I replied hoping my voice doesn't reveal my worries.

"You're free? Please tell me you are. It been ages we saw. We're done with exams now. Please!"

I did a quick check. I giggled. He sounded like a baby begging for candy. I still wondered how in the world we fit almost perfectly. What started with a nervous meet had progressed into something much more.

"Alright, Charles." I smiled at the excitement in the background.

"Burgers and fries, fifteen minutes." He replied. "Cool?"

"Yes."

"Will be waiting."

"Will be on my way soon."

"Cool. Love you."

"Same here." I blushed. Tingles ran down my body.

"I know you do. See you soon." He said.

"Going out?" I glanced at Berry who stood by the door.

"Yes, with Charles." I beckoned her to come closer. I shook the feeling that I began to creep over me the sight of Berry. I have to be strong for her. I thought to myself.

"Can I come?" She whispered with her head bowed.

I pulled her into a warm hug. "You don't have to ask little sister. Charles won't mind you tagging along." I rocked her in my hand. I kissed her hair. "Go wear something nice and meet me downstairs." I cupped her little face in mine and smiled. She flashed me a smile then skipped out happily.

My heart elated at the smile she gave. Since the night Mrs Connor brought her back, Berry rarely smiled even when with mum. I noticed how quiet and nervous she'd become whenever Nick was around her. She had totally withdrawn herself even from mom. I was the only one she genuinely smiled at and it gladdened my heart.

I hurriedly threw on something nice then preceded downstairs. I stopped halfway down as Nick came into view. He sat in the sofa, his eyes transfixed on the game showing on the TV with his fingers wrapped around a bottle of beer. I locked my jaw as the anger I felt towards him bubble to the surface. I could hear the cracks in the wall of restraint had erected to hold all my anger in. I knew in time the wall would come crumbling down and I somehow dread that day as I would have to hurt mum once again; something I have promised I would never do but somehow is inevitable.

I glanced at my watch. "Berry, hurry up." I continued down shaking off the emotions running through me.

Nick glanced at me. His stare lingered with the same sinister look. "Looking good, Leo." He grinned. "All dressed up for me?"

"What gave you the impression?" I gave a straight face.

"Who else would you want to seduce?" he winked.

"I can't even form the thought properly even if I dare to." I turned away from him praying Berry appears before things get out of hand. I stiffened slightly as I watched him stand.

"I see you've become bold these days."

"It is expected." I swallowed my fears refusing to be intimated by him. I allowed my anger fuel me.