Eight: Hook up (2)

"What is it?" I tried to act bravely pushing myself to look him in the eye. My heart beat rapidly in my chest as his black orb drew me in sending cold shivers down my spine. I felt lost. It seemed like I was looking into the bottomless black abyss. He sucked me all in with his eyes.

I took a step back as he took one towards me; his cold stare never wavering. "Henry?" I whispered.

I watched his jaw tightened. "Don't call me like you know me." I hide the hurt I felt. "Don't think for a second that you know who I am. I only spoke to you the other day because of Bran. You are nothing to me. I never even knew you existed. So, next time you see me, don't even blink in my direction or give a face of familiarity. Am I clear?" he seethed.

I nodded without blinking. The tears that had pooled in my eyes threatened to fall. I titled my head upward to disallow them from falling. I still kept a brave face.

"Cat got your tongue?" he asked.

My back hit the wall. It jolted me back from his echoing words ringing in my head. I had kept walking backward as he spoke taking menacing step towards me. I was trapped now.

"Clear." I said firmly.

"Good." He smirked. His eyes lingered on me before he walked away, strolling confidently.

Time passed as I froze on the spot unable to believe the hurtful words Henry Marquez just uttered. He was indeed cold and insensitive.

"Leo?" Someone shook me. "Leo?" the voice called loudly.

"Bran." I gave a smile.

"Are you alright?" he looked doubtfully.

I blinked. My heart elated when I found no sign of tears. They had dried somehow when I stood lost in my thoughts. Who knows how long I stood transfixed? I didn't want to give Bran the pleasure of knowing what Henry had done. I don't want to be a dividing force that would separate them. Within the brief period of being his friend, I have come to understand how much he cherished his friendship with Anna and even though he wouldn't accept his relationship with Henry.

"I am fine." I nodded.

"Arnold didn't frighten you, did he?"

I laughed nervously. "No, I am just surprised Arnold got to me after all this years."

He hooked his hand in mine then began to walk. "Now you know how I felt when I ran into him."

I nodded. "He is one of my many reasons I made myself almost invisible."

"Same here too." He smiled. "Thanks to Henry who saved my ass from been beaten." He said.

I stared at him for a second. There was more to what he was saying but I let it go. I prefer him to tell me when he is ready to.

"I can say the same now." I smiled blocking the words Henry spoke from echoing once again in my head.

"Guess we have many things in common then." He grinned.

"I guess so." I murmured. "Hope Anna is alright?" I asked.

He shrugged. "She will be."

"What is it?" he looked sad for a second.

"Something is wrong between Arnold and the Marquez."

"Why do you think that?" I raised a brow.

He pulled me with him, striding quickly out of the hallway into the school ground. I relished the fresh air that hit me. The smell of nature seemed to do magic on my aching nerve. I felt calm and relieved.