36 • Good News or Bad News?

V A L E R I E

"We're only staying for a week." I said placing my suitcase in the car. My mum called yesterday telling me she wanted me to fly over and talk to her about something and to bring Jimin. So here we were putting our bags in the car ready to drive to the airport and go see my mother. We finished and got in, driving to the airport while singing to some songs on the way there. Us going off pitch at to different songs and then laughing at each other.

We got there and boarded the plane. Nothing happened, we didn't get caught by security or anything. It was just like a regular airport trip. We were lucky to get seats next to each other, me taking the window seat. Haha, in your face Jimin. I put my earphones in and closed my eyes, I didn't like how boring plane rides were. So I usually just sleep, Jimin thought it was a good idea to sleep too and was laying his head on top of mine.

• • •

We woke up when there was turbulence and got off the plane. Renting a car and driving to my mother's house. When we got there we unpacked the car and went inside. Greeted by my mother. It was only late afternoon so she prepared a snack for us out the back. We went and sat outside in the warm sun that was going down.

"So mother, why did you call and have us fly all the way over here for a week?" I asked sighing as she sat down. She played with her fingers, she was nervous. Question is why? "I have something important to tell you." She said finally meeting my gaze. "Mum, whatever it is. I'm sure it's not that big of a deal." I said, usually she exaggerates things. "There's noting that you can say that could surprise me or shock me." I said and she sighed. "I'm getting married in two days."

"Except that." I quickly said. She was getting married in two days? I remained calm though. "May I ask why and how?" I asked and she nodded. "You know how I've been going on business trips a lot? And not really around?" She asked and I nodded. "Well I've met someone. He was a client, and single. And he asked me to dinner one day and I said yes. Then a bottle of wine later we were doing the grown up things and yeah." She said, thinking of my mother having sex made me gag.

Gross. "Anyways, we've been together for a year and he asked me to marry him a month ago. And I'm getting married in two days." She explained. Wow. How do I react? I guess blowing up at her and getting mad would be mean. I mean she didn't when she found out I was having sex and dating my teacher. Besides, dad found a new wife who is a total slut. So why can't my mother find love too?

She looked nervous and as if she was waiting for me to yell at her or something. I smiled and held her hand In mine, she looked shocked by my actions. "That's good mum." I said and she smiled. "So, the wedding Rehearsal is tomorrow and I expect you two, to be present." She said pointing to us both. "I want you to be a bridesmaid. You will walk down with Jimin. I talked Brad into having Jimin as a groomsman." She said and we nodded.

I had to admit I was a little shocked at the news but I will support my mum no matter what. We continued to talk about the wedding and this Brad guy and what he was like. I told my mother that I'll be nice to him but if he ever hurts her he's a dead man. It got darker and we went inside, me and Jimin went into the guest room aka my old room and began to unpack.

"Do you think they've had sex in this bed?" I asked halfway through unpacking. Jimin just chuckled but shook his head. "No. But we will." He said smirking at me. I hit his arm lightly. "Do you know what my mother would do if she heard us having sex?" I asked him as he thought for a moment. "Ah yes, I've always wants to have a threesome." He said laughing, I rolled my eyes.

"You're disgusting." I said as he just laughed. "I'm just kidding. You know you're the only girl I'd ever sleep with." He said kissing my neck. "That's a lie." I said monotone. For some reason him saying that annoyed me. He may say that but I wasn't the only girl he slept with if I remember. "You can't be serious? You're going to bring this up now?" He asked stepping away as I nodded.

"If I remember I wasn't the only guy you were seeing either." He snapped back. You see when Jimin is angry or hurt he'll try and hurt the other person back. "I'm not doing this right now. I'll see you downstairs." I said walking out and downstairs to see my mum in the kitchen cooking. "So is Brad coming over?" I asked as she nodded and poured some oil into the pan.

"Yep. He's on his way now." She said as she concentrated on cooking. She hummed when she cooked. She used to do it a lot when I was younger, I've never seen her this happy since...the divorce. "What's up kiddo?" She asked taking notice of me. "Nothing. Me and Jimin jus had a bit of an argument upstairs." I said and she sighed. "Young love." She said stirring the meat in the pan.

"Did you apologise?" She asked and I shook my head. "Why should I? He's the one who snapped back at me?" I said and she rolled her eyes. "You are dramatic when it comes to arguments Valerie. You got to learn he can't be the one to apologise all the time. How many times has he apologised to you?" She asked and I thought back to all the times he did.

"A lot." I grumbled and she nodded. "And how many times have you apologised to him?" She asked and I remained silent. I knew the answer, I just didn't want to admit it. "Come on." She said and I sighed. "None." I grumbled and she smiled. "So march yourself upstairs and go apologise missy." She said, I decided maybe I should.

I walked upstairs and opened the door to see him walking around half naked. "Hi." I said as he turned around and slipped on a simple black t-shirt. "I'm sorry. It's just all overwhelming you know? The wedding, meeting this guy. I don't mean to take my shit out on you." I said and he sighed and turned around, looking away from me with his hands placed on his hips. He sucked in his bottom lip as he tried to think.

"I accept your apology. And if you ever feel overwhelmed, talk to me okay?" He asked sitting on the bed as I walked towards him and intwined my fingers with his. "I'm being serious Val. I'm your boyfriend. I'm supposed to take care of you." He said and I nodded, leaning down and kissing him softly. "Valerie! Jimin!" My mother called from downstairs. We both smiled and made our way downstairs.

• • •

I liked him. He was kind and nice. He took interest in my topics that I talked about and didn't judge my relationship with Jimin. Yes, I told him and he seemed fine with it. He also couldn't stop complimenting my mum which is a plus in my book. This guy can marry my mum tonight, I don't want to lose this dude. Dinner was good and went perfect.

Everything was perfect.