Chapter:18

One year later

I ran to the barn to grab something. When Brody first saw the baby he looked scared. Kyson on the other hand stayed by me. Oh did I mention that after Brody heard about Jade's misfortune he went to see if she was alright and if she needed anything. They're dating now.

I found what I was looking for and went back to the house. When I entered I saw Brody with Jade's daughter curled up to him asleep. "Jade sleeping upstairs?" I asked. He nodded. Kyson came from upstairs. I handed him the small cardboard box. "It took some convincing on your brother's part but I managed." Kyson said. "Had it overnighted from The Woodlands a few towns over."

Jade came down the stairs yawning. Kyson opened the box before pulling something out. "I know we've been friends since we were born. But before you were seventeen I realized that there was much more between us than just a friendship. There was a relationship that no one else had with you, but me. So," he got down on one knee. "Dallas would you do me the honor of being with me for the rest of our lives? To be more than just roping partners? To be my one and only?"

He opened a velvet box. "I know it's nothing like you thought it might be, but you were always the simple one. The one that made it easier for the rest. Even when your brother and I got into disagreements or even you and him..." "Kyson." I cut him off. He looked up at me. I put my hands on both sides of his face. Then kissed him.

"You've been there for me when I needed you and I'm not going to let you go now." I said before kissing him again. He pulled me to him. "So is that a?" "It's a yes." I said. "I know there were several rough patches, but I know there's more to come. And I can't wait for every time we decide to make up after the scuffles and fights." He said. "I can't either." I said as he slipped the ring onto my finger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mom, Jade, Gally, and Hanly, along with dad's mom, and both of Kyson's grandmothers were with me at the final fitting for my dress. The lady helping me finally finished getting me into the dress. I slipped into the boots I'll be wearing. Then walked out.

"Ooh girl!" "Woo!" They all loved how it looked on me. I had to look at myself in the mirror. I then went back in the dressing room to get out of the gown. After an afternoon of having fun with them we all went to dinner at a restaurant. "So how many children were you two planning on?" Hanly asked.

I choked on my drink. "Excuse me?" I asked. "How many children are you and Kyson planning on having?" Hanly's mom asked. "Momma! I was asking the question!" Hanly said. "We haven't decided yet. Maybe after we get married we'll talk more about it." I said. "Maybe closer to the wedding." Gramma said.

After eating we went back to the house. I had to get away from the crowd. As soon as I excused myself from them to go to the 'bathroom' I went to my room. I then climbed out my window and down the tree next to my room. I ran to the barn and opened the door. I walked down the isle to Jack's stall. I opened it and put a hackamore on him then led him out.

I vaulted onto his back and started for the pond. I checked my hip making sure my handgun was there in case of any trouble. My phone in my pocket. As I got there Jack lowered his head for the grass. I tied the reins together and laid back on his back.

I closed my eyes listening to him chomp and pull at the grass as he ate. He moved a few feet and lowered his head once again. In the distance coyotes howled. An owl hooted. The September air was becoming chilly. Jack then started back for the barn. I sat up knowing it was time to head back. They'll probably be wondering where I am by now.

As I rode up there in the doorway was my fiancé. He walked out to meet me. "Have a nice ride?" He asked. "Yeah." I said yawning. He helped me off Jack and into his arms. Then dropping an arm keeping one around my waist. "Come on. They've been wondering where you are." He said confirming what I knew. I wrapped an arm around his waist leading Jack with the other. I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"I'll take care of him baby girl. Just go up to the house and get a shower. I'll be there in a little bit." He said.