Out and About

Ashlie's POV -

I floated to the exit with the book in hand. I have never wanted something so bad before and it was exhilarating. I know that Nick would kill me again but I don't really care. I need to know what's out there, I just need to leave for a minute or two and then I'll be fine.

I pulled the lever, there was a dried bloody handprint on it. One time in Tommy's round the survivors managed to escape they must have left that, he was so mad about it to. It was hilarious to see him break stuff for an hour. But all of that aside, time to see if this works.

I walked up to the edge of the barrier and put the book down on the dry grassy dirt. I stared into the distance for a while with confusion on my features. I reached up to see if it was still there but only to stopped short. I never really thought that hard about what I was doing before now. What if I can't come back, I mean yes I want out but I don't want to leave them behind either. There my best friends and my family. I started to move my hand down when I heard Nick from behind.

"What are you doing" he said

I turned around and saw him with his arms folded. His red eyes burned into mine and I felt my hands start to shake. I could see Uni and Tommy in the background making it seem like they weren't listening.

"Looking at the barrier" I said folding my arms as well

"You really think you can get out" Nick said raising one of his eyebrows

"Maybe" I respond glancing behind me

"Why are you so persistent to leave" he asked throwing his arms in the air and turning around

"Because you don't know what will happen if we leave" I protested

I saw that Uni and Tommy were now looking at us and scratching their necks.

"You're right I don't but I know a possibility, we could all get captured and get experimented on to see how and why we are different" Nick said while his eyes kept shifting from me to the barrier

"Well I am still going to try with or without you 3" I said turning to the barrier

I hesitated for a bit before putting my hand up and pushing it through. Instead of the barrier there was a mist like substance that moved out of the way when I tried to touch it. I messed around with for a while before looking back at Nick and floating through. It was like a combination of cold and warm air hit me all at once. The air was clean and fresh, completely void of the smell of blood and dirt. The sky was a dark blue and the earth was dry and bare but it felt right. I looked back at the boys and smiled when I saw Nick, Tommy, and Uni staring at me with wide eyes.

"You guys coming or what" I said making a gesture of my hand

Nick' POV -

I stared perplexed as Ashlie walked through to barrier. "How did she do that" I thought to myself as I felt my features shift from surprise to anger. I continued to stare at her while I saw Tommy and Uni pass through as well.

"Nick" She said with her hand extended

I stared at her for a long while, she had a bright sparkle of hope in her eyes while mine were on fire. I turned away and walked back through to gates that kept us here for so long.

"NICK!" I heard Ashlie yell from behind

I just kept walking further and further away from the gate, I need to be alone right now.

I walked up to the asylum where Ashlie was supposed to be but never was. I sat down on one of the front steps and cupped my hands together. I sat there in silence for who knows how long before reaching down and taking a folded piece of paper out of my pocket. I slowly unfolded to piece of parchment and looking at the photo inside. It was a photo of us when we were kids, I can't remember what age we were though. I think I was 12 and she was 9 we looked to happy then. I scratched out our parents faces for some reason. I wish I didn't do that now that I look at this. I wish we could just... go back and start over.