The Hunt Begins

Jon's POV -

I made sure to stay close to Cory, I don't want him getting hurt and potentially reopen his wounds, he had already lost a lot of blood so I don't want him to lose any more. Dawn was examining the red gem embedded in the scorpion necklace as we walked threw the new area.

This section seemed to give off a almost farm vibe, but there was no farm in sight, maybe it was the cornfield that was a few feet away from us. The sky was dark orange and it blended into black along the horizon, just above the view of the gate.

I looked over at Dawn who continued to stare at the gem, almost like if he concentrates hard enough it will give him answers. If only that's how interrogations worked...

I looked at Cory who was walked absentmindedly, his hands in his pockets and his eyes glued on something we couldn't see, his cracked glasses were reflecting the light from the moon which covered his eyes from time to time. He seemed to be worried about something. I could see small sparks of panic reflecting in his eyes, but he didn't seem to notice his own challenges.

I looked up at the moon. It was a full moon and seemed to be brighter than the moon I'm use to, or maybe it is the same moon but I just haven't noticed how bright it really was.

"Hey Dawn." I said

He hummed in response

"Can I see that for a moment?" I asked, holding out my hand

I didn't take my eyes off the moon as Dawn placed the cold piece of metal on my hand. I gripped in my palm, letting the chain slip through my fingers. I turned it in my hand and lifted it to the moon. The light reflected against the gem, making red lights dance on my hand and face as I moved it from side to side.

"It's shiny." I said rubbing my thumb against the grooves

I turned around and faced Cory. He was looking around now, not listening or even paying attention to Dawn and I.

I stepped in front of him, snapping him out of his trance. We all stopped.

I held the necklace to him, "I think it would be better if you keep ahold of this." I said

He stared at me for a moment before taking the shining silver metal out of my hand and placing it in his pocket.

"You ok?" I asked

"What, oh ya. Just thinking..." He said, his gaze moving to the ground

I tilted my head slightly, "Thinking about what?" I asked curiosity

"Who we are going to run into in this zone." He said looking around the area

"Have any guesses?" I asked

"...Ashlie." He said, "Probably wrong but you said guess so there you go."

I laughed, "Ashlie was the girl, Uni was the one with blue hair, who was the other one?" I asked

"Oh. That was Tommy." He responded

"Didn't he almost cut us in half?" Dawn asked

I heard Cory suck in a sharp breath, "Ya, listen it wasn't his fault that he acted like that ok." He said

"Who's fault is it then?" I chimed in

Cory held his arms out, "This place. They call it a prison but the proper term is the Entity" He said, "From what they told me they died here and were brought back to life by it. Causing them to be how you are seeing them. It also makes them do things..."

"What kind of things?" Dawn asked

Cory looked at Dawn but stayed quiet, "...Kill..." He responded, turning his gaze to the ground once more