Chapter 12- Foxblaze

Foxblaze stood in the forest for a moment after Tigerpaw had left, she was about to leave and head back towards camp before she heard a high pitched shriek. Alarmed, Foxblaze bolted over to when the noise had come from. When she had arrived at the source her eyes grew wide with fear. There before her was Mouseclaw, his flanks heaving up and down and blood was pouring from a gash along his side. 

"Mouseclaw! Mouseclaw what happened!" Foxblaze asked quickly.

"It.... Was....." Mouseclaw began before he coughed up some blood.

"We need to get your back to camp." Foxblaze stated as she knelt down to put the old tom on her back. It was hard for Foxblaze to carry Mouseclaw back to camp by herself on her skinny legs, but luckily a patrol spotted them and quickly rushed to help. 

Finally when they arrived back at camp, Foxblaze quickly brought him into the Medicine Den. Where she prepared the poultices and herbs faster than ever. She couldn't loose, Mouseclaw, not today.

"Ok Mouseclaw I need you to stay still, and try to keep calm." Foxblaze urged as she began masaging the pulp into his wound.

"Foxblaze." Mouseclaw began his voice hoarse.

Foxblaze looked down at him, her eyes filled with worry and panic. "Yes?"

"Foxblaze it is my time to join Starclan. You have to let me go."

"No!" Foxblaze shouted her voice filled with sadness. "No! I'm not letting you die, not here, not now!"

"Foxblaze you have been an excellent apprentice and you will soon be an amazing medicine cat."

"No, no, don't go. Mouseclaw I need you, there's still more that you need to teach me!"

Mouseclaw shook his  head and coughed up more blood. "No. I've taught you everything, you are ready to be a medicine cat and I am sure of that."

Foxblaze's eyes clouded over with grief and sorrow. "Please Mouseclaw, don't go, retire to the elders den I don't care just don't die!"

"I'm sorry Foxblaze but Starclan awaits." With that he closed his eyes and his breathing stopped. Foxblaze let out a wail of sorrow and buried her muzzle into his gray fur. After a few minutes she walked out of the den, Shadowstar was standing there her gaze urgent.

"Is he ok?" She asked obviously worried.

Foxblaze looked down. "He's dead. I'm sorry Shadowstar there was nothing I could do the wound was to deep."

Shadowstar walked over to her side and touched her tail tip to her shoulder. "It's ok, I'm sure you tried everything. Mouseclaw hunts with Starclan now." Then Shadowstar walked into the den to retrieve Mouseclaws body for the vigil.

During the vigil Foxblaze had fallen asleep, although she woke up back in the starry fields of Starclan. What do they want now? Foxblaze thought grumpily. There was a swirl of bright light and Mouseclaw and Leafpool appeared.

Foxblaze's eyes gleamed with joy to see her mentor once more. 

"Foxblaze, I have a message for you that Mouseclaw, unfortunately didn't get to tell you before he died." Leafpool said as she glanced at Mouseclaw. Mouseclaw stepped forward.

"Before I died I was given a new piece to the prophecy you received I was on my way to tell you before." He gulped, "Before I died."

Foxblaze narrowed her eyes, why wasn't Mouseclaw telling her how he died. Why was he keeping it a secret. 

"What Starclan told me was, To defeat the darkness the fox must seek out the cursed one with the white paw. For they will bring down the tiger that wishes to destroy the forest."

Foxblaze stared at him utterly confused. "What? Whose been cursed?" Before they could reply, Foxblaze awoke back at Mouseclaws vigil. Her nose was still buried in his fur, she sighed and glanced up at the sky.