Chapter 3; Fragile

(P.O.V. Bailey)

"Y--you invited...Dan and Phil...HERE?" I said, as I felt my whole body begin to shake. Mom looked up at me from the stove, and smiled.

"Yes, sweetie. They are nice boys, and I know you enjoy their videos. I thought this would be a good chance for you to make some friends." Mom said, and suddenly there was a knock at the door. "Bailey, will you get that? I need to pull the lasagna out of the oven."

I took a deep breathe, and walked to the front door. My hand gripped the door knob, and I made a note at how cold it was. I swung the door open with the little amount of courage I had, before I chicken out. There, in my own doorway, stood Dan and Phil. I could hardly believe it.

"H-hi." I managed to stutter out.

"Hi Bailey!" Phil chippered.

"Hey." Dan said casually with a smile. We stood there for an awkward moment, before I realized I should let them in, and I stepped to the side, gesturing for them to come in.

"Boys you are just in time! I just pulled it out of the oven." Mom said, with a gleaming smile. I could tell she was really excited about Dan and Phil being here. It had been so long since we had guests over, and I couldn't remember the last time she was this excited.

I stood in the middle of the living room, just watching mom hug Dan and Phil, and thank them for coming, when the front door opened again. It was dad arriving home from work. He had gotten a job at a local high school teaching history again, and often stayed late grading papers. He set his brief case and hat by the door, before smiling up at me and mom.

"Hi honey! How was work?" mom said, as dad walked into the kitchen giving her a quick peck on the lips.

"Good, the kids really seem to like me. Dan and Phil, it's nice to seem you!" Dad said, shaking Dan and Phil's hands.

I watched my parents, smiling and laughing, and looking- for the first time in a while- genuinely happy. It almost stung, because I knew that I was the reason they weren't living the social butterfly life they both would love to have. Knots in my stomach grew, and I felt my heart rate increase. I really didn't want to have a panic attack now, I didn't want to ruin this for my parents.

They hate you, just like everyone else...

Dan and Phil think you're a freak...

You should have never been born...

"Shut up..." I mumbled to myself.

"What was that Bailey, sweetie?" Mom asked me from the kitchen.

"Oh...nothing. I - uh...Dinner smells great mom." I said. Not daring to look at Dan or Phil, though I could feel Dan's eyes cutting through me.

"Well, what are we standing around here for? Let's eat. Oh, and I made my famous Oreo Chocolate Cheese Cake, it's Bailey's favorite." Mom said, and I felt another peg of guilt. Mom hadn't made my favorite dessert in a long time, because it was a lot of work, that she never had time for taking care of me.

"Sounds wonderful, Mrs. Bolt." Phil said.

"Oh, please dear, call me Belle." mom said.

Once we all had our plates full of lasagna mom made, we sat around out large Oak dinner table. Again, something we hadn't done in years. We usually only ate here with guests, so it was a special occasion.

I was sat at the corner of the table, with mom to my left at the head, and Dan to the left. Phil sat across from Dan, while dad was next to Phil. I ate quietly, not paying any attention to the conversation. I wanted, so desperately, to talk to Dan and Phil. I just didn't know how without looking like an idiot.