Chapter 20: Reality

I shot up screaming my head off. All I could see was him, staring at me. I was back in my head, the grass was wrapped around my legs and the hanging tree was swaying in front of me. Multiple people on it, guards and Fredrick and River and some more people. I couldn't stop screaming. It physically hurt and ever since I got out of my own head, I hated pain. But my head snaps, did I ever get out!? I hated it more than anything. I kept screaming, I couldn't calm down. I hear my door slam open and someone starts yelling at me.
"LET ME OUT!" I scream as I grab who ever was there. My throat was burning and my stomach was in a not. I look down to see its covered in blood and there is a huge hole in it.
I let out a scream and someone grabs me and screams back. They pull me out of bed and I latch my fingers on the grass. The thing I hated more than the grass was the unknown I couldn't leave.
"MARCO!" The person screams. "ITS ME ITS STAR CALM DOWN YOURE HOME!"
"S-S-Star?" I stutter and I felt limp in her arms. My eyes fall closed, which scares me but I do anyways.

I'd been doing this for the whole five months since I got out of Toffee's head, including in he hospital. And so far the only thing that could calm me down was Star.

My alarm clock rings at exactly 7:30 for school. First time I would be going back in months, it's October 10th. Columbus Day. My doctor said it would be a good idea because my school does a half day, the second half is just a play they decided to do annually for some reason. I don't know if I'll stay. Depends on if I freak out again.
I throw my head in my hands. Every night I get transported back to somewhere from my past. Mostly it's the time when I had a vine growing through my stomach. I guess I can relate to myself from then. That's at least what the doctors would all say. One from Mewni, one from Earth. Both came twice a week.
Grumbling, I throw on a red sweatshirt and jeans and rinse my mouth out with mouth wash. I didn't brush my hair, I couldn't let it be at all perfect in any way. I had barley left my house in all of the months, I almost don't remember what the sun looks like. I open a window. I won't be finding out, it's cloudy as hell.
"Marco," Star says as she pushes open my door. "You ready?"
"No." I sigh. "I really don't want to go." I turn around to see her in her normal gear. A pair of indigo leggings and a long, grey sweater. She'd cut her hair a while ago so it lands right above her shoulders. I told her I didn't like it, she didn't care.
"Yeah I guess I wouldn't be too happy about going back to school either. How are you feeling?"
She asks me that everyday. And since I'm being completely honest with her, I always have to answer the same thing. "Horrible."
"Oh." She pulls back her hair. "Um okay. You hungry?"
"No."
"Okay. Your moms gonna drive us. Let's go."
Nodding, I step out past her and down the stairs. Hadn't done this in a while. For a month I refused to get out of the comfort of my bed. The psychologists had to come and try to talk me out of it everyday. I hadn't said much to anyone besides Star. I felt bad for that, but not bad enough to talk to other people.
"You two ready?" My mom says as she scoops up her keys and some coffee.
Star nods. I shrug.
The car ride was quick. No talking, just me checking over my shoulders ever so often to see if a pair of yellow eyes were peering at me. This was a constant, and being outside where I didn't know how the light reflected on everything made it almost unbearable to exists.
"Alright." My mom turns around in her seat as soon as she pulls up to the front of the school. "You call me if anything bothers you, Marco. Anything at all. Star, you need to keep an eye on him. Okay? ...Yes Marco? ...Yes, you'll be sharing Star's classes. Anything else? Okay I love you two!"
"I am going to fucking die." I confess to Star as we stand in front of the big doors at Echo Creek High. Tenth grade, I wonder how everyone has changed.
"I believe in you Marco. You'll be fine." She smiles and pushes open the doors. I trudge behind her, people barely noticed us. A few people scurried around in costumes but besides that no one seemed different. I laced my fingers into her backpack and she pulled me along. My eyes catch someone in the corner. They looked an awful lot like Fredrick. I held my head down between my arms and closed my eyes. He's not there. He never was. He was just a figment of my imagination. He was never alive. You can't kill what never lived. I didn't kill him I didn't kill him I didn't kill him I didn't kill him I didn't kill-
"Marco." Star shook her bag and I looked up suddenly. "Are you sure you're good?"
I nod. "What's first?"
"European History." She says as she continues to walk. She turns her head and chirps. "Don't worry the teachers nice."
"I don't care." I snap under my breath and I follow her into the classroom. At first, I thought everyone was staring at me. There eyes peeling away at my skin, staring into my past to see everything I did. Then as soon as I actually looked at one of them, I noticed no one actually cared. I was just invisible again, no one was scared of me or even remembered what I had done. I guess... No one cares.
I slid into a seat in the back next to Star. As soon as I sat down someone slammed their hands on my desk abruptly. My mouth let out a loud scream as I pushed back in my seat so hard it tipped over and my head slammed into the beige wall behind me.
I open my eyes once and I see Toffee smirking. "What a disappointment."
I blink again quickly to see Janna staring at me. A few other kids had made their was into a group around me, concerned looks in their eyes.
"You okay?" Janna offers me a hand. "Sorry dude I didn't mean to make you freak. Just happy to see you're back in one piece."
"Why w-wouldn't I be in o-one piece?" I stammer as I let her help me up.
Janna continues as soon as I'm on my feet, "Star said you had to help her in a Monster Battle on Mewni and got hurt. We all visited you while you were in your coma-thing. But like, then flu season came and they wouldn't let anyone under the age of 18 in to see you.
Except Star. 'Cause she's from Mewni and can't get the flu."
I turn my head to see Star nodding innocently. "Yeah, they were all really nervous for you Marco. You sacrificed yourself to help my family."
A kid that sounds like Ferguson laughs. "Yeah dude. Not all heroes wear capes."
"But I'm not a hero." I confess nonchalantly.
"That's not true." Star interrupts hastily as the bell rings. "You saved out family, Marco. Don't be so modest."
"But I-"
She eyes me. "Just take the compliment."
I shake my head but she shoots me a look. I can't lie Star. I just can't. After all the times I cheated in life when I had that wand I just can't. I broke your family's sacred item. It's forever split in half because of my cowardice. How can you be so okay with telling people I'm a hero!? I'm not! I tried to kill you! Kill everyone. And I don't even know who else I killed or hurt because I refuse to let you tell me what else I did. I'm scared! Because, what if I killed you!? What after Mewni? Maybe I would've come to Earth and kill more. Maybe I would have taken over the whole multiverse because I was scared of loosing you. Because I loved you too much to see you leave. I had told you that, that I loved you. But you never heard. Because with your warm heart you would love me back, but I don't deserve your love. Not after all I did.
But in reality everyone had taken a seat including me and the lesson began about the French Revolution and Rose Pierre and the King and a guillotine. I peer out the window to see a whomping willow and I concentrate hard not feel anything. It's just a tree. No one died. That was fake. Everything that happened in there was all fake. I never killed anyone.
"Yes you did." A slick, deep voice coos. "You killed River. You killed me. Killed Fredrick. Countless Mewni guards and soldiers. There blood is on your hands."
My eyes get blurry as I peer down to see actual red blood staining my hands. I close them and look up to see I'm in a dusty plain, lightening cracking above me. I can see a figure in front of me speaking in what sounds like Parcel Tongue from Harry Potter.
"You're not real. I killed you. And you're never coming back." I state firmly.
"Foolish child." The voice responds. "I'll always be here. I'll be waiting for you to mess up. I'll wait for you to get back to the point of desperation. And when you do, I will be back and more powerful. And when that happens, you will be obsolete."
I felt lost. I held my heart and sunk to my knees. My heart was freaking out and my head felt like it was going through one of those tumble-rock-polishers. I think this is fear. My emotions were still mostly gone, I couldn't identify them. But I am scared. I'm scared of him coming back. I am that terrified.
But what did that matter?
"So what?" I stand back up and let go of my heart. "You'll be back stronger and so will I. You're never going to make me do anything again. Try your hardest, I'll be ready."
He smirks as a fog roles over the desert. "So be it."
I turn around and my eyes pop back open. I'm in the classroom in reality. The teacher is teaching and no one noticed. Star didn't either. We're still on Rose Pierre and the Jacobins executing the king.
I grip my desk and take a deep breath. I still didn't feel like myself but it's only been four months. I would feel better eventually. Time will heal. I am neither going to get better right away, nor will I never become myself again.
I smile as the lesson drones on.

"Welcome back to reality." I say to myself.

(Pretty please read this with a cherry on top!)

WELLL I DID SAY SOMETHING ABOUT AN INCOMPLETE ENDING... RIGHT?
YEAH PROBABLY SORRY Y'ALL HAHA THIS IS HOW I WRITE
SO YEAH IF YOU DIDNT FIGURE IT OUT YET THIS WAS (most likely) THE LAST CHAPTER AND HOLY SHIT THIS BOOK WAS SO MUCH FUN TO WRITE AND THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORTIVE VOTES AND COMMENTS AND DEALING WITH ME USING BIG WORDS, I LIKED IT!! ONE OF MY FAV BOOKS IVE WRITTEN TBH!

GOING BACK TO ONE SHOTS FOR A BIT SO COMMENT SOME YOU WANT ME TO DO

THANKS AND KEEP CALM AND NARWAL BLAST

REALITY IS AN ILLUSION, THE UNIVERSE IS HOLOGRAM, BUY GOLD, BYYYYYWOLFSTAR