chapter 5

September 6th 2016

John's POV

My eyes fluttered open after what felt like a satisfying amount of sleep. I looked to my left to see Alex already awake, sitting on his well-made bed and furiously typing on his computer. I smiled to myself after realising this would probably happen a lot, especially when classes started. He strikes me as a man who is very hardworking, and one who strives to reach the top mark for any assignment he does.

After a few minutes of quietly observing Alex, I sit up in bed and feel Alex look over to me. Returning the glance, I see Alex grinning at me,
"Good morning John!"
"Mornin' Alex, " I respond, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "Have you already eaten breakfast?"
"Not yet, I was waiting for you to wake up" He responds as he closes his laptop lid.
"How long ago did you wake up?"
He squints at the clock across the room to read the time-
"Just over 2 hours ago"
"Really? You didn't have to wait for me for that long"
I feel myself blush slightly at his sweet gesture and see him look back over me and blush as well. After getting lost in those amazing, amazing chocolate eyes again, I get embarrassed at how I've been staring at him and promptly turn to get out of bed.
"Well I'm going to go and get started on breakfast, what'd ya want?"
"Do we even have any food?" He questioned, with a puzzled look on his face "I didn't bring anything with me."
"Don't worry, I brought some stuff, it's in the fridge."
I walked over to the refrigerator and looked inside and started listing off the items inside-
"Bacon, eggs, all the ingredients for pancakes..." my words trailed off as I anticipated what his answer would be.
"Pancakes would be good" he replied, grinning. "Here, I'll help too."
It was just 3 minutes later and Alex had already gotten flour all over both of us because he tore the bag open. I made sure to crack the eggs because I knew Alex would probably get a lot of shell in the mix.
"Can I trust you to pour the milk?"
"Sure you can" he replied, and I hesitantly handed him the carton.
He carefully measured out the milk, with me watching over his shoulder.
"See? I told you that you could trust me"
Alex said, sarcastically looking at me as he added it to the batter. He splashed it everywhere, only managing to get half of it in the bowl.
"Yeah, totally trustworthy" I chuckled as I watched him furrow his brows and I took over from him.

"Whatever, Jonathon." He said smiling, which made me frown and fake being angry.

"That's not even my name, you know it's just John." I rolled my eyes and pouted grumpily.

---after breakfast---

Alex's POV:

After we had eaten our huge stacks of pancakes, which didn't take long since we both hadn't eaten much since breakfast yesterday, before we'd even met, we decided to wash up together. John was washing up whilst I dried, and honestly, it was really hard not to blush whenever our hands touched. I looked away from him whenever I felt my cheeks get warm, but I could swear I saw his go red too, which made me smile.

John's POV:

My hands were twitching the whole time we were washing up the dishes. Looking at Alex whilst we were doing this chore made me weak at the knees, I need to grab my pencils and draw this boy.
As soon as we finished washing, I said goodbye to Alex-
"See you later Alex, I'm just heading out to the shop." I said whilst grabbing my wallet and pulling a clean shirt over my head.
"Oh, okay. Bye." He responded, seemingly fine, but I swear I could hear a hint of sadness in his voice, which broke my heart.
"Yeah, I'm just grabbing some art supplies, you can come with me if you want." I said, hoping he would accept.
"Sure! Let me just change out of my pyjamas." He said, smiling. I did a small sigh of relief because I was scared he'd be mad or upset at me.

---later---

When we arrived at the store, we headed straight to the sketchbooks. I thought it would be good to get a new one for Alex, I imagine I'll be doing plenty more in the future, so why not get a fresh book.
"What kind are you looking for?" Alex asked me, looking around with his soft eyes.
"A really good quality one. I want my pieces to be as good as they can. Which one do you think looks best?"
He looked around for a few minutes, comparing prices, paper thickness and the different uses. He chose an army-green one with multi use paper, and quite a lot of it too, since it had 100 sheets.
"This one seems really nice to me, but it's $30 so you might want to choose a different one." He started, trailing off after he said the price.
"No, this ones perfect." I responded and he looked shocked that I'd pay that much for it. I decided to clear up why I didn't care about the price- "My dad gave me a card with loads of cash on it for supplies and food, so I can spend as much as I want."
His confused look dropped into a more understanding one. I grabbed a new pack of paint brushes and payed for them, eager to get back and start my drawing.

25th June 2017