Chapter 28

Dedication is to @BlahBlahMule for her wonderful comments! They're amazing. Thanks so much! I also wanted to thank @LittleMissThang06 for her kind messages. You both are awesome! :)

_______________________________________________________________________

Thud.

Jace nodded in approval at the knife I had thrown, now snuggly tucked into the target across the vast room. Not a second later, Xavier was behind me, but I had heard him coming. I grinned innocently as I used his own momentum to tackle him to the ground, leaping onto his back and holding my knuckles to his throat. The flames protruding from each of my fingers tickled his neck before receding back so as not to hurt him. He froze beneath my touch that would have been lethal to anyone else.

“Better,” my mate commented. “But you forgot one thing.” In the blink of an eye, I was on my back with Jace hovering over me. He winked cheekily.

“Never, ever let your guard down,” Jace finished for him.

I rolled my eyes at them, and Xavier glared at my flippancy. I blew him a kiss in return.

“I would know who to look out for in an actual battle,” I retorted, pointing at the blonde to blame. He flapped his eyelashes obnoxiously, making me laugh. Xavier didn’t find it nearly as funny.

“That’s beside the point, Princess. Jace is an example of someone who you may easily forget about, and that would be lethal during a fight. You must always think with your senses, not your head.”

My response was cut off by a distant call.

“Mommy!” I smiled adoringly before turning around to snatch up my bundle of joy, easily lifting his forty pound body. “Mommy, guess what?!” he grinned.

I chuckled slightly, remembering when I would start every conversation with those exact same words, as if my mom could read my thoughts. I knew what he was thinking now just as much as I did on the first day I met him.

Willy didn’t notice my pause. “Aunt Violet says that she’s gonna be like us soon! She won’t be cold no more!”

“Anymore,” I gently corrected. “She won’t be cold anymore.”

“You knew too?!” He immediately started wiggling in my arms, looking for someone else to tell. I let him down. He was in Xavier’s arms a few seconds later. “Daddy, guess what?!”

Xavier winked at me before pretending to think really hard. As if he couldn’t hear him from two feet away. “Let’s see, what could Willy have to tell me? You lost your nose?”

Willy’s eyebrows scrunched up before he reached up to feel for his nose with his chubby fingers. “No, it’s here Daddy. See?”

“Oh, you’re right. I see it now. So it’s not that. Hmm…” Willy started bouncing, getting impatient. “You ate all of the cookies?”

“No, Aunt Violet made me save room in my tummy for dinner,” he pouted, obviously sore about the topic.

“Your mommy made me do the same thing,” Xavier stage whispered, looking at me with sparkling eyes.

“She did?!” Willy gasped, looking at me accusingly. I nodded, playing along. He looked back at my mate. “Why do girls do that?”

Jace roared with laughter then, tears rolling down his cheeks. “I think we men need to stick together, Willy!” Jace chuckled, patting the boy on his shoulder. I knew he was barely tapping into his strength, but it felt like a firm, hardy slap to my son. Willy slapped Jace’s shoulder as hard as he could, trying to generate as much muscle power as the older, stronger demon did. Jace didn’t even flinch, as if a fly had ran into him.