Chapter 16

Dedication to LittleMissThang06 and oddone1216! You both rock my world with your comments! :)

____________________________________________________________________

“You did great, Princess.”

“Did you see how many people there were, Xavier?! I was swarmed by them!”

“That’s probably because there was just about every demon living on our front lawn. It’s not built to hold so many. Even the demons that were hunting or busy with other obligations took a break from their duties to come and meet you.”

“Why do they care so much?” I groaned, flopping onto our squishy bed dramatically. It bounced with my weight, making me smile despite my irritated mood. “I’m just a human.”

“You are my mate,” he answered. His beaming smile after that statement showed how pleased he was with the thought. He sat next to my head, running his fingers through my hair relaxingly. My eyes slipped shut in exhaustion. “They have been restless ever since I began searching for you. As soon as you were in this realm, they have been dying to meet you. Men, women, children: all of them want nothing more than to bask in your presence. Men yearn to protect you. Women are eager to teach you the ways of our life: how to cook our foods, learn our traditions, and simply to get to know you so that they can be your friend. The children are the worst, though, and the best at the same time.

“Demon children are naturally drawn to you. You represent a second mother to them, very closely to how the Luna of a werewolf pack is a mother to the pups she leads. Our race has a more intense connection to you, though. Kids would honestly choose you over their birth mothers, the women that raised them, because of the unbreakable bond they share with you. As they grow up, their bond will be stronger than the ones you have with the grown men and women now, because they will have known you longer. Their loyalties as men and women will be unwavering, solidified by the fact that you, in one way or another, were a part of their childhood and raised them. Their children will have a connection that is even stronger than that, and the cycle continues until our children are born and a new woman sits next to the Demon Lord, either being our daughter or our son’s mate.”

“So it will always be like that whenever I interact with our people? That frenzied chaos that almost knocked me off my feet?”

He chuckled, sending shivers racing down my spine from the sinister sound. There were little things- a chuckle, a spout of possessiveness, a flash of temper at the silliest things- that made me realize I was getting accustomed to Xavier’s demonic ways. I didn’t jump when his inner demon erupted from the burning fire inside of him, making an appearance on the outside. His overprotective habits that would make any feminist want to cry- how he was constantly touching me, the way he angled his body so that no other male had a clear view of me, and his tendency to push me into the role of a fragile eighteenth century woman- didn’t make me roll my eyes as much as they used to.

Yet, all it took was an unexpectedly fierce display of his, what some would consider, evil personality to remind me that my mate was, indeed, heir to the Lord of Demons.

“They will become somewhat used to their craving for your addicting presence, and you will alike become comfortable with their adoration,” he explained in response to my earlier question that I barely remembered. Stupid sexy demon distracting me with his bad boy looks and personality. “We demons cannot help ourselves, myself included,” he smirked. “You are too fascinating.”

He hauled me up so that we were laying beside each other, slightly propped up by the pillows. He had his bed situated in such a way that the double doors leading out to his gorgeous balcony were just to the right, so in the morning the light didn’t touch our sleeping forms. However, when we just laid here, awake, with the doors opened like they were now, letting in the outside air that never had a cool breeze to it, we had a perfect view of the lands.