Chapter 11

“Xavier!”

If I hadn’t been so mad, the look on his face would have been beyond amusing. Every one of his features was soaked with dread, and his eyes were easily twice their normal size as they watched stalk up to him determinedly.

“I’m sorry,” he spurted. “You’re right. I’m sorry. I was wrong. I love you, Princess. I’m so sorry.”

“Sorry for what?” Now I was confused and slightly more angry. What was he keeping from me that would make him apologize so readily?

“Whatever has upset you. I promise, I’ll fix it. Don’t be upset with me, please,” he gushed.

I turned to the couple that looked to be only about ten years older than Xavier. They had been discussing something with each other when I’d barged in. “Show yourselves out, please.” It took everything I had to sugarcoat the anger in my tone, and I accidently spit out the last word. “Your meeting will be rescheduled so that any complications that you have will be addressed, but I need to talk with Xavier at this very moment. Thank you for understanding these exceptional circumstances.”

The two gawked at me openly, disbelief blanketing their expressions. I waited impatiently for them to exit, tapping my foot anxiously as they continued staring at my tense stance. I continuously shot glares at Xavier while I waited. I was about to repeat myself when the woman opened her mouth, but the man held up his hand in a silent objection. The woman’s mouth clamped shut instantly.

“Of course,” the man rumbled. His voice held so much authority that I almost stumbled back if it wasn’t for his respectful words. “We’ll be happy to discuss the details with Lord Xavier later. Come, Felicia.”

The woman looked at me once more, assessing every detail that I possessed, before pivoting on her heel and following who I assumed to be her husband. I gaped at her walk that belonged on a runway. As soon as the door slammed shut, I turned on him.

“You!” I hissed.

He gulped. “Me?”

“I met someone today.” I decided to draw it out, make him sweat a little. “A little boy name Willy. Do you know him?” My voice automatically softened when I remembered the child.

“Willy?” Xavier looked confused. “Of course I know Willy. He works with the horses. Why would Willy make you upset?”

“Where’s the nearest school?”

His eyebrows furrowed. “Princess, what-?”

“Where’s the nearest school, Xavier?” I pressed. Something- maybe my balled up fists or clenched teeth- made him answer.

“A couple miles from here. Why?”

“What kind of school is it? Good?”

“Well, I guess it is-”

“What does it teach?”

“The regular subjects, but I don’t see how-”

“How are the students taught to act?” I fired at him, getting more infuriated by the second.

“With respect towards authority. Stop,” he boomed when I opened my mouth to really start snapping at him. “What’s this about?”

“Willy gets teased at school!” I screeched, waving my hands around wildly as I talked. “The kids torment him because he doesn’t have any parents and he has to walk home. They say that no one loves him! And you tell me that the nearest school is a couple of miles from here?! The poor boy has no shoes, Xavier! He’s obviously not been getting enough food, and who the heck takes care of him?! Whoever they are, they haven’t been doing a very damn good job of it!”