Chapter 10: The First Class

Chapter Ten, the First Class

Jessica and Lindsay had finished getting dressed, and were just exiting their room to go to the dining hall for breakfast.

"Henry said we're starting our classes today." Lindsay said as they walked down the stairs.

"How does that work though, we all have different powers?" Jessica asked.

"Well, they sort of group us, like for example, Matt can make balls of fire, and Tom can make balls of water and stuff like that." Lindsay replied.

"So they'd be in a class together, because their skills are about the same level?" Jessica asked as they approached the door to the dining hall.

"Yes. Like you'll probably be in a class were they have kids whose powers are related to animals or something." Lindsay said as they stepped inside the crowded dining hall.

Jessica and Lindsay spotted the boys and sat down next to them. Lindsay tapped Matt's head as she sat down and he looked around curiously at the kids behind him. Jessica and Lindsay giggled as they helped themselves to breakfast on the table. The kids ate and talked about class for a while before a teacher walked to the end of their table and addressed the room in a loud booming voice.

"Good morning students! Today as you all know, we're starting our classes. When I call your name, please go the teacher that you're instructed." He said.

Several names were called, and the students proceeded to their assigned teachers.

"Lindsay Valentine, please go see Mrs. Walters." The teacher said.

Lindsay got up eagerly and smiled to Jessica then walked over to a teacher Jessica suspected was Mrs. Walters.

"Mathew Green, please go see Mr. Smith." Matt was indeed in the same group as Tom. As Matt was walking over, Jessica heard him mutter, "Just because Tom helped us doesn't mean I want to be in a class with him."

Jessica smiled, only she and John were left from the people she knew, she hoped they'd be in the same class. "After all, our powers are both related to animals." She thought.

"John Fisher, please go see Mrs. Edwards." The teacher announced.

Right after John was called, Jessica heard her name.

"Jessica Thompson, please go see Mrs. Edwards." The teacher said.

Jessica gave a triumphant little whoop, and then proceeded to Mrs. Edwards and a beaming John.

"Hi." Jessica said smiling at John, who smiled back at her.

After the rest of the students' names were called; the teachers and their classes preceded to their assigned class rooms. As they stepped into a brightly lit class room, Jessica noticed she didn't know any one in her class except John. Jessica sat down in the middle row, as the familiar scrapings of chairs rang through the room. John sat down beside her and smiled warmly at her, the same smile she loved so much about him. The smile he'd given her the first time she met him in the forest.

"Hey, if we have to work in pairs, do you want to pair up with me?" He asked as if worried she'd say no to him.

"Of course John, I wouldn't have it any other way." Jessica replied as the teacher sat down.

John beamed at her as the teacher began to speak. "Ok class, as you all know, I'm Mrs. Edwards." She said as she wrote it on the large black board beside her desk. "Today we're working in pairs." Mrs. Edwards said as Jessica and John's faces lit up. "Once you've paired up, we'll be working on understanding your partner. You will try and work as a team, try to find something special your unique powers will help you do. For example, if you can turn into an animal, find a partner who can maybe understand you while you're in your animal form. Or maybe if your partner can change into a bird, you can let them see farther, or fly farther." Mrs. Edwards explained.