Chapter 3 - Les Amis de l'ABC (Part 2)

After those magic words had been spoken, I was seated between the man in the green vest and one which I yet did not know. Marble man, which is what I had decided to name the attractive blond, stood up on the table and gave a passionate speech about their cause and the upcoming revolution. When he was finished, I must've had an awestruck look on my face because he smirked when he looked at me. What can I say? It was the best speech I'd ever heard.

That's when the man in green stood up and said, "well, now that that's finally over...", this earned an eye roll and annoyed look from marble man, "it's time we introduce everyone to Daphné." He smiled at me before pointing at each amis in turn, "you've already met Courf and Gav, over there you have Jehan or Jean Prouvaire, then Joly, Combferre, Marius, Bousset, Bahorel, Feuilly, then you have Enjolras, our leader..." My eyes snapped to where he was pointing and I realised that marble man was actually their leader. of course he was. "...and I'm Grantaire, a raging alcoholic", finished the man in the green vest, now known to me as Grantaire. 

My eyes passed over each man, giving them my best smile, but when they reached Enjolras our eyes lingered on eachother and I noticed his face was devoid of emotion. We must have stared at eachother longer than we thought, as a loud, exaggerated cough brought us back to the present. We turned around to see all the boys looking at us with knowing smiles, smirks and raised brows. Grantaire was a sight, wiggling his eyebrows comically at Enjolras and I. For the second time that day I felt extremely awkward and to make it worse, my cheeks flushed the colour of Enjolras' burgundy jacket.

He must've sensed my discomfort as he loudly cleared his throat and said, "right, let's start this meeting, shall we?" Everyone nodded and took a seat, then the meeting began. Once again, Enjolras spoke with such passion and confidence I couldn't help but look at him in awe. He didn't look at me at all, probably to stay focused and avoid extended eye contact, which suited me just fine.

The meeting ended in the late evening, but I stayed seated, saying goodbye to everyone as they filed out of the meeting room. I stood up and walked to the window where I had first seen Enjolras, and as I looked over the darkened streets of Paris I mentally debated over staying the night in the café or risk walking home alone, which I knew would not only be unsafe but irrational. I decided on the first option, not willing to risk my life just yet. I turned around and jumped when I realized I was not alone; Enjolras had been there the whole time and he lifted his eyes to mine, when he heard me jump, prompting a smirk followed by a small smile to appear on his chiseled features. 

Somewhat awkwardly, I said to him, "is there a spare room here where I could spend the night?" He looked at me quizically, so I said, "It's not really that safe for me to walk home alone and I'd like to live to attend the next meeting." After a pause he looked at me and said in a voice as smooth as silk, "Mademoiselle...", this earned a raised eyebrow from me, as he let out a soft laugh bowing his head, before looking back at me, "...I mean Daphné, I can walk you home if you want." He said awkwardly, you could definitely tell he was quite shy about this which only made my heart melt more for him. "If it's not too much trouble for you, Monsiuer..." It was his turn to raise an eyebrow, making me laugh, which brought a twinkle to his eyes. "...Enjolras, I'd like that." I finish with a shy smile.

We stand up to leave, and I walk over to him as he packs his books, quills and paper. It is only then that I realise how tall he is compared to me, and our closeness enables me to really study him with my eyes, taking in the sharp jawline, shapely nose, his amazing eyes and the wisps o golden, sunkissed hair that fall into his eyes. I am still trying to grasp how one human can be so beautiful when Enjolras clears his throat. This makes me blush as I realise I've been caught staring at him. I avert my gaze to the floor, but I can already see the smirk.

"Well let's go then, shall we?" I ask, to which he nods as we make our way out of the Musain. I wait as marble man locks up the cafe and when he is done we begin our journey to my house. We walk for a while in comfortable silence until Enjolras opens his mouth and speaks, "I saw what you did for Gavroche this morning. Not many bourgoise would have done that." I stiffen at the use of that word and Enjolras notices that he hit a nerve, but before he can say anything I open my mouth and reply, "don't call me that, I may look like one, but I am certainly not one, nor would I like to be one," he gives a soft smile as I continue, "and what I did for Gavroche today is what everyone should try to do." As I finish, I see that Enjolras has stopped and when I give him a questioning look, he cups my face and places a soft, apprehensive kiss on my lips. I am surprised at first, but words cannot describe how happy I fell right now.

I kiss him back gently and hear a content sigh escape his lips as we deepen the kiss, it becoming a passionate one. We pull apart to gasp for air and as I stare into his electric blue eyes, now clouded with lust, I brush as I break eye contact. I hear a sot laugh as he lifts mu chin with his finger, and when our eyes meet he presses a soft kiss to my lips. There is a moment when we just stare into eachothers eyes in the moonlight, I into his blue orbs and he into my light brown ones, speckled with green. We break eye contact and continue to walk to my house, this time with his arm wrapped protectively around my waist.

We reach my house too fats for our liking, and after a goodbye kiss I walk up the stairs leading to the front door when I feel someone grab my arm. Initially I stiffen at this, but immediately relax when I hear a "Daphné", and turn around to see Enjolras holding my arm. I walk down the stairs towards him, while he delves into his pocket and pulls out a small object* I do not recognise at first.

"Now that you're one of us, you should also have one of these", he says, stepping closer and placing the object into my hand. It is then that I recognise it as the tri-colour pin, the same one I saw Courf and Gav wearing when I met them. I can't help but beam at the symbol of acceptance in my hand and I bring Enjolras into a thankful hug, relaxing when he wraps his muscular arms around me. "Wear it everyday..." he says, "...forever and with pride", I finish with a whisper. Something changes in Enjolras' eyes, but I don't ask as he doesn't seem to notice. We kiss goodbye as he waits for me to get in, before dissapearing into the night.

*I laughed at his a little Im sorry lols