Chapter 12 - A new dawn

I run as fast and as far away from the café as I can, but the immense sadness that I feel seems to be slowing me down, until I can no longer run and come crashing down onto the cobblestones. It's quiet, there are no people and I openly start to cry as I sit there on the cobblestones, with the faint sounds of the barricade in the background.

Suddenly, the silence once again becomes deafening and I realise I can no longer hear the fighting. I push myself off the ground and run back to the café, reaching it in only five minutes as I ran back as fast as I could. "In fact", I think to myself, "I don't think I've ever run this fast", I muse as I turn the corner.

The sight before me is horrific. The barricade is in pieces and there are bodies everywhere. I look down to see a river of blood running over the cobblestones and feel like vomiting, but I continue to walk over the bodies, taking care not to step on anyone. I walk to the Musain and my eyes trail up the building. I'm not ready to see what I may see, but my eyes are greeted with the sight of my love hanging out of the window, the red flag still in his hand and eight bullet holes in his chest. The sight is enough to bring me to my knees and make me howl in pain.

I look up at him once more. "Enjolras", I wail, "you, you p-promised me you'd live! Mon amour you promised!" I continue to look into his eyes, those cold, calculating eyes that somehow I always saw love and adoration in. I almost collapse in shock as I see a weak smile flicker across those chiseled features, and both our eyes fill up with tears as he says, "I'm so sorry. I love you." I don't even get a chance to say it back as his beautiful eyes glaze over and the smile I love fades. "That's it", I say out loud, "he's gone."

I sit there for a while, not daring to look around incase I broke down in tears from seeing my friends dead. I'm so absorbed in my grief and mourning that I barely notice the cheering soldiers walking out of the Musain. I only acknowledge their presence when one taps me on the shoulder. I turn around to look at him, my eyes bloodshot from all the crying I was doing. "Mademoiselle, what are you doing here?" I stand up and see their shocked faces when they notice my badge. "I'm mourning because you killed all my friends, what do you think I'm doing?!" I yell at them, and they become significantly less pleasant, the pity that is on their faces enraging me even further.

"Did you fight with them against us?", one soldier asks, his voice an unpleasant sneer. "Yes I did", I say proudly, "Vive le republique!" I yell at them and I feel no fear as they aim their guns at me. "Any last words?" I look up at Enjolras and reach up for his hand. Pressing a kiss to it, I turn back to the men and look at the commanding officer, Enj's hand still in mine as I say, "let other's rise, to take our place, until the Earth is free!" I repeat my love's words proudly as they pull their triggers and the world goes black.  

*Originally, the ending was gonna be a little different but I think this is better as I didnt really like the first one I wrote tbh*