Chapter 4 - The Rally

I wake up to the morning sunshine streaming through my windows and as soon as I'm awake, the memory of Enjolras brings a radiant smile to my face. I decide to leave early for the café, hoping that I'll have some time with Enjolras and after refreshing myself, pull on a blue dress the same colour as France's flag and tie my hair in a bun on the top of mu head, leaving two ringlets of hair to frame my face. I proudly attach my pin to my dress and throwing on a light jacket, head towards the Musain.

My parents have left Paris for a week on a trip for father's work and mother went with him for company. As I'm 20, I was allowed to stay in Paris which is fine by me, as it means that I can come home anytime meaning more time with marble man. I walk down a street that leads to the cafe and smile at all the passersby, surprisingly getting smiles back which rarely happens here in Paris. After a brisk 10 minute walk I reach Rue-Saint-Micheals where the Musain is beofre realising I haven't had breakfast yet. Just as the realisation sets in, my stomach grumbles loudly, causing at least 5 people to turn around and look at me.

I'm still blushing when I walk into the patisserie, buying two teas and croissants with jam and butter incase Enjolras was about. "Merci Madame", I say to the shopkeeper before making my way back towards the Musain. As I walk in I realise I'm the only one there, apart from a kind looking woman at the bar, who has started to eye me suspiciously. I smile at her as I make my way towards the stairs. "Wait!" I just about jump out of my skin and turn to find the woman looking at me. 

"Where are you going"

"To the meeting room?"

"Oh! Are you one of the Les Amis?"

I beam proudly at this and nod as she gives me a toothy grin saying, "Enjolras is up there, but if he gives you any cheek send him down to me!" I laugh at this and say, "Enjolras and I get along just fine, but I will!" The Madame looks surprised before a dawning look descends upon her face. "I'll go now", I say and she nods wordlessly as I head upstairs.

I walk quietly up the stairs hoping to jump scare Enjolras, and I thank my lucky stars when I reach the top and he's too occupied to notice me sneak up behind him. I take a moment to peer over his shoulder and I see all the noted and plans he's prepared for the revolution and it makes me admire him even more. I take a deep, silent breath before I yell "BOO!", causing him to jump up in alarm, before he realises it's me and attempts to (unsuccessfully) regain his composure. This makes me smile, which in turn brings a smile to his eyes. "I brought breakfast", I say as I watch him eye the bag while I take out the teas and croissants. He looks at me gratefully before digging in, I assume he didn't have breakfast either. 

"Why are you here so early?", we both ask at the same time causing me to burst out laughing and him to chuckle. "I woke up early, so I thought I'd drop in, you?" I say to which he replies, "we're having a rally today", he says so casually I almost choke. "there's a rally and you didn't tell me!?" He must've expected this as he replies in a voice much calmer than mine, "these can be dangerous, we can't risk you getting hurt." "Enjolras, I am as much a part of Les Amis as you and have therefore every right to be there" I say, "I'm coming whether you like it or not." I think he can tell how determined I am, so he just sighs and says "fine", as I bite triumphantly into my croissant and spot a signature smirk. 

We sit in comfortable silence as we eat and drink, he working on the plans. I almost jump out of my skin as I hear a loud noise coming up the stairs which turns out to be Grantaire and the rest of the boys. They pause and stare at Enjolras and I, as a ripple of smirks passes over each of their faces. "Goodmorning", I say finishing my tea and throwing it in the bin. "Ready for the rally?" Feuilly asks and I nod excitedly, as Enjolras stands up loudly. "I didn't want her to", he starts, looking at me, "but she insisted on coming to the rally, so I want everyone to keep an eye out for Daphné." Everyone nods their agreement and as I look up at the man I'm developing feelings for, I see his jaw clenched and his face expressionless, but his eyes betray his real feelings of fear and anxiety.

When he and Marius have gone over their speeches, we leave the cafe but I stay in the back to reassure Enjolras. "Everything will be okay", I whisper as I grab his hand and look into his beautiful eyes. Making sure no one is looking, he places a quick, soft kiss onto my temple and pulls away right as Grantaire turns to us, a quizical look on his face, before he smirks at us holding hands, then turning away. I feel Enjolras' hand tighten painfully around mine as we reach General Lamarque's house, where the rally is going to be held. I wrap marble man into what I hope is a reassuring hug, before him and the rest of Les Amis climb onto a makeshift stage. I move further back from the crowd so I can see better and listen carefully as the boys starts their speeches:

"How long before the judgement day?" yells Marius

"Before we cut the fat ones down to size!" Enjolras shouts beside him

I hear a soft sigh and turn around to find Éponine, standing right beside me and smiling at me. But before I can even utter a 'Bonjour', yells and screams erupt in the air as the sound of clattering hooves comes nearer and nearer. The next thing I know, Éponine has dissapeared as if she was never there and I start to panic as I loose track of Enjolras and the boys due to people running left, right and centre. I push through the crowds and see an inspector with cold blue eyes, violently tugging a small boy and anger boils inside me when I realise it's Gavroche. 

"Excuse me!" I yell, as I march towards the inspector who turns his shocked eyes to me. "Let him go", I demand, to which he replies, "Mademoiselle..." "I said let him go", I repeat, my voice firm and I just about lose it when he has the audacity to chuckle. "Mademoiselle, this street rat is a revolutionary. Child or not he will suffer. I will..." He doesn't finish his sentence as my anger spills out, manifesting itself in the form of a punch to the officer's face.  The impact allows a thankful Gavroche to run off, but before I can get away the Inspector grabs me and throws me to the ground.

My head hits against the ground, and I see him about to strike when a tall figure with hair spun from light knocks him to the ground. The last thing I remember before it all goes black was Enjolras punching and beating the inspector and yelling for all of Paris to hear, "If you ever touch her again..."* I couldn't help but smile at that.  

* this phrase and moment of Enjolras beating Javert isn't 100% original FYI, I saw it in someone else's AMAZING Les Mis fanfic and wanted to include it in my own. ATM I cant remember what that fic was called but it was either "Barricade Girl" or "Love is enough", both which are INCREDIBLE