Chapter 8 - At the barricade

The barricade has been built and I watch proudly as Enjolras climbs up it, placing our red flag on the top where it's visible for all to see. I guess now its just a waiting game to see what happens. My train of thought is broken by Enjolras and the boys who have begun singing:

"Red

The blood of angry men

Black

The dark of ages past

Red

A world about to dawn

Black

The night that ends at last!"

Many hours pass and nothing happens, my mind shifting to the volunteer Enjolras sent out earlier to spy on the army. "It's been hours, what if something happened to him..." I trail off as I hear a chorus of "he's back!" echo around the barricade. I see Prouvaire and Courfeyrac make room for the man to pass, and as the volunteer speaks I notice he won't look Enjolras in the eye. Moreover, he look familiar and just as I'm about to shout his name, Gavroche yells "liar!"

All eyes turn to the little boy who looks so proud of himself as he continues in a cheeky voice, "Good evening dear inspector, lovely evening my dear. I know this man my friends his name's inspector Javert. So don't believe a word he says 'cause none of it's true! This only goes to show what little people can do!" he finishes proudly as Javert tries to run, only to be caught by Grantaire and Comebferre.

I feel like a proud mother, as I beam at the little boy and Courfeyrac shouts, "Bravo Gavroche you're the top of the class!" "But what will we do with this snake in the grass?" Combeferre cuts him off turning to our leader. "Put him in the tavern in there", Enjolras replies, "the people will decide your fate, inspector Javert." While Javert yells threats at Les Amis, he is led inside but he pushes the boys off him and a fight erupts. I watch horrified as Enjolras is punched in the jaw, my eyes widening as he swings at Javert, who blacks out. 

The others tie Javert up and the vulnerability I see on Enjolras' face is heartbreaking. He looks at me as I stride over, wrapping my arms around him. "Daphné, I..." he begins but I don't let him finish, "You did what you had to do and don't listen to his empty threats," I rub his back as I try to reassure him. "Thank you", he whispers as he cups my face and kisses my forehead gently. As perfect as this moment of peace is, I freeze as I hear faint marching in the background. "Daphné, what's wrong..." "Shhh, Enjolras, listen..."

The boys fall silent and their faces fall as they pick up the sound of the oncoming army. "I love you", Enjolras says quickly and before I can even reply he runs out of the Musain followed by the boys and as I take a step, I hear my love yell, "French Revolution", as the first shot rings out. It has begun.