Chapter 7 - General Lamarque's Funeral

I wake up to the morning sun streaming through the window of mine and Enjolras' bedroom, and as I sit up and stretch it dawns on me that today is the day of the funeral, the day everything changes. I look down at Enjolras who is still asleep with a small smile on his face; he looks so peaceful.

Looking at him also prompts thoughts from the night before and I feel myself blush as I remember how we had become one last night, how he whispered sweet nothings into my ear as we made love for the first time. I sigh dramatically as I lean down to him and wake him, "wake up mon amour," I whisper, and his eyes flutter open as he looks up at me with complete adoration, a blush coming to his cheeks as he too remembers last night. "Bonjour", he says, his voice husky from still being half asleep. "We have to get up" I say "today's the day Enji, we need to be on time."

At my words we bolt out of bed and get dressed, leaving the apartment in only half an hour. We didn't bother eating breakfast as we knew we wouldn't be able to stomach anything, especially on a day like this. We walk to the square, he in his burgundy jacket and me in my red dress, with our badges pinned proudly where everyone can see them. As we reach our destination, he turns around to me and says, "I don't want you near the barricades when the revolution starts. After the procession run home and stay there." I look at him in disbelief and hiss at him, "Enj, we've come this far and if you think I'm going to that you're out of your mind!" I look at him sternly and just as he's about to argue he sees that there's no point, so he drags me through the crowd until we find the rest of the revolutionaries.

Just as we find them, the procession starts and I stand with all the Les Amis in the front row. I steal a glance at the boys and even though Enjolras is putting on a brave face, I squeeze his hand because I know that deep down, he's really afraid. We look at each other but don't say a word, our "I love you's", passing silently between us. When we turn to look at the procession again, Enjolras nods at Marius, who is standing across from us with the Bonapartists, before they start singing:

"Do you hear the people sing singing the song of angry men

It is the music of the people who will not be slaves again!

When the beating of your heart echoes the beating of the drums

There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!

Will you join in our crusade who will be strong and stand with me?

Beyond the barricade is there a world you long to see?

Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free!"

At this I watched as the boys jumped in front of the procession, climbing the carriage with Lamarque's tomb, as Enjolras waves the red flag. I run with them, no way was I going to listen to Enjolras and stand by and watch.

"Do you hear the people sing?

Singing the song of angry men!

It is the music of the people who will not be slaves again!

When the beating of your heart 

Echoes the beating of the drums

There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!"

I watched as Enjolras climbed the top of the carriage and after yelling his name, he pulled me up with him, keeping a protective arm around my waist as we all continued singing:

"Will you give all you can give so that our banner may advance?

Some will fall and some will live 

Will you stand up and take your chance?

The blood of the martyrs will water the meadows of France!

Do you hear the people sing?

Singing the song of angry men

It is the music of the people who will not be slaves again!

When the beating of your heart

Echoes the beating of the drums

There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!"

We finish proudly and I jolt a little as I notice that the carriage has stopped and that the National Guard is right in front of us. 

I move behind the boys, as they point their guns at the guard. A shot rings out and I look down to see an old woman crumpled on the ground. "She's an innocent woman! Murderer!" I hear Combeferre yell as he and Bahorel drag a young soldier from hiding who has fired the gun. Before I know it the scene has turned to chaos, as we are attacked by the National Guard and I feel Enjolras lift me off the carriage and holding my hand, we run to the Musain where people are throwing furniture out of their windows and I see the barricade slowly rising.

I look at the man beside me, at his golden hair, dazzling blue eyes and when our eyes meet he pulls me into a searing kiss filled with love and hope. It's only a short kiss as Feuilly runs into us and yells "Come on! We have no time to spare!" I know Enjolras is about to protest me being there, but one stony glare is all it takes for him to realise I'm not going anywhere, so we run to help with the barricade which is already several feet tall.