T W E L V E

Park

"James, someone's here." I whispered, walking cautiously into the abandoned building. It was pitch black all around us. I had my index finger hooked in one of the loops on his jeans so we stay close. We can see in the dark to a certain extent, but for some reason I couldn't see barely anything.

"Park, do you smell that?" He whispered back, his fingers wrapping around my wrist. We both stopped walking, and I took a small breath. "Is that sage?"

"Why're they burning sage?" I mumbled, the smell finally hitting me full on. "Sage doesn't do anything to vampires."

"No, but it does render witches powers useless." James suddenly turned around and we both used our speed to get out of the building. When we were outside and a good ways away from the building, James let go of my wrist. "They know you're a hybrid, but they don't know what kind. They knew we were coming."

I turned back towards the building and narrowed my eyes. "That doesn't make any sense. How would they know?"

James didn't answer, but I'm glad he didn't, because I would've looked away from the building if he did. On the roof of the building next to it, I could see a person pointing a crossbow at us.

I grabbed James' jacket with my hand, the tightest I've ever grabbed an article of clothing before, and sped down the road. When I got us to a safe spot, I clamped my hand over his mouth.

I made the 'shh' gesture with my other hand and shook my head. He looked confused and I gave him a look as I removed my hand from his mouth. We were standing chest to chest in a doorway, and he looked uncomfortable. I couldn't care less at the moment.

After a few long seconds of silence, I was about to tell him it was fine, when I heard three sets of footsteps a few feet from us. James looked at me with his eyes doing all the talking. They were vampires. He wanted to kill them.

I got ready to attack, my hand clenching into a fist. I looked back up at James and nodded, feeling a surge of power burst through my body.

"Not so fast."

Both of us spun around and came face to face with three more vampires, with two crossbows aimed at the middle of our foreheads. I turned to face the man with the crossbow pointed at my face. I kept my expression as neutral as possible.

"Drop the knife you have clipped to your pants and kick it towards me." He said said to me in a deep voice. I complied and slowly reached for the knife.

"You too, pretty boy, the one on your pants and the one in your boot. Kick it over."

As I dropped the knife on the floor, the man without the crossbow smiled at me. I glanced at him for a moment the back to the one threatening to kill me. I kicked the knife towards him and raised my head a little higher.

"Good listeners." The one without a weapon said, still smiling. "Now I really hope you keep that up." He glanced behind us, and I automatically assumed that the other three were there. "Our friends are going to walk you back to our building without you five drawing attention. Then, we will have a talk."

I felt a large hand grip my wrist, and I glanced to the side at James. I could see for that one second he was fidgeting with the ring. He had a plan, and I knew exactly what that plan was. Together we had three weapons: two rings and one bracelet.

The guy who had a hold on my wrist tugged me backwards and I glared at the man who was smiling at me. I went easily though, and I heard the door close behind us.

The five of us walked quickly, and I knew we had little time to execute a plan of escape. From what I could see and piece together, one had my wrist, one had James's wrist, and the other was walking slightly in front of the four of us.