11

I got home and sat on the couch. Tommy sat beside me and I put my head on his collar bone. Its been a couple of weeks since Victoria went to Linsly. Linsly is a private school in West Virginia. You can send your kids there to stay all year long or you can drive and pick them up. In this case, Victoria would stay there all year long. Since Aunt Scarlet lives near there, on the holidays and during the summer, Victoria will stay there.
"What are you thinking?" Tommy asked.
"I miss my sister already," I said.
"But she wanted to do this."
"I know. Its just that we've always been real close."
"My sister and me...we were really close. Definitely after our mom left and we were put in the same foster home. When I turned eighteen, I went to the court and proved to them that I could take care of Courtney. They let me take care of her. Courtney's only four years younger than me. Now we barely talk."
"What happened?"
"I followed in my biological father's footsteps, while she followed her biological father's footsteps. She became a cop. So we don't see each other that often."
"I get it. Your a criminal. She's a cop."
"Hopefully that won't happen with you and your sister. You have any other questions for me?"
"How old were you when you lost your virginity?'
"18."
"24."
"I know how old you were."
"Because I gave it to you."
"When's your birthday?"
"When's yours?"
"July 2, 1991."
"No way!"
"Is yours July 2nd, too?"
"No. My birthday is July 4, 1991."
"What time were you born?"
"3:48 pm. You?"
"1:12 pm."
"You're two days, two hours and thirty six minutes older than me!"
"What do you want to do for your birthday? Seeing that its only a few days away."
"Have a nice dinner and then dessert."
"What kind of dessert?"
"Chocolate Crème Peanut Butter Pie."
"Okay. I want you at my apartment on the fourth by seven."
"PM?"
"Yes."
"I love you. You know that right?"
"Yes. I gotta go."
"See you on the fourth."
"Okay."

For the next few days, we would talk on the phone. I had an assignment that took me out of town. I wasn't returning until the fourth. I had to go to Hawaii. My boss wants me to interview Dwayne Chapman. Then he wants me to go to Texas and interview Chip and Joanna Magnolia. Around six am, July 4th, Tommy called me.
"Hello," I said.
"You coming home today?" He asked.
"Yes. I'm trying to."
"Good. Because I made your favorite."
"That better be a nice comforting bed."
"Why would you say that?"
"Because my back is aching. So many things are happening."
"Okay see you at seven."
"Um...Tommy?"
"Yes."
"You didn't give me your address."
"Its in the Carter Cove Villa. Floor ten."
"Okay."
"See you then, Kitten."
I got into Carter, California around six thirty. I didn't have time to go home and change. I got in a taxi with my luggage bag.
"Where to?" The cab driver asked.
"Carter Cove Villa," I replied.
We were there within twenty minutes. I gave the driver fifty dollars. I told him to keep the change. I literally ran to the elevator. I got in and clicked the number ten. The elevator doors opened and I walked into a living room. Tommy appeared.
"Happy birthday," he cheered.
"You too," I replied. "Sorry. I'm such a mess. I didn't have time to-" Tommy began to kiss me.
"You look beautiful."
"Thanks."
"You wanna see what's for dinner?"
"Sure."
We walked into the kitchen. There was pie and a candle light dinner. Dinner went by fast. Tommy grabbed our plates. He got the pie, cut out two pieces, and gave me a piece.
"What kind of pie is this?" I asked. "It taste AMAZINGLY GOOD."
"Chocolate Crème Peanut Butter Pie," Tommy replied. I began laughing. "Why are you laughing?"
"Because that's not a real pie!"
"What do you mean?"
"I made that up!"
"Seriously? Your mom told me to put peanut butter in a graham cracker crust and mix it with chocolate cremé."
"She guessed."
"Well, now there is such thing as a Chocolate Crème Peanut Butter Pie!"
"Thanks Tommy."
"Do you like my penthouse?"
"Yes."
"Tell me about Chapman."
"Well, he let me go on a hunt with him. I stayed in the way back of the SUV. I wrote down everything that happened. It was amazing!"
"What about the Magnolia's?"
"I got to help Chip with a piece of construction and Joanna with a lot of the decorating."
"Wow."
"So I need to get home. I'll see you later."
Tommy got up and began kissing me. The next day, I woke up in tangled sheets. I wasn't in my apartment. I closed my eyes and remembered the events from last night.
"So I need to get home. I'll see you later."
As I got up, Tommy began to kiss me. The next thing we know it. We're in bed kissing.
Opening my eyes, I smiled. I looked over and saw that Tommy was still asleep. I got up and began to get ready when Tommy woke up.
"Good morning," I said.
"Good morning," Tommy said. Just then his phone rung. "Hello?...Seriously...okay...I'll be on the next flight...bye..."
"What was that about?"
"My dad is sending me to New York. He wants me to rob a bank there then return two weeks after hiding the money."
"I'm sorry."
"I'll be back soon."
"Okay."
"I'm gonna leave my bag here. I've gotta get to work."

The next week, my mom called and told me that Aunt Scarlet had died. She was in a car wreck with Victoria when a drunk driver hit them. Aunt Scarlet died at the crash site. Victoria was in ICU. I walked into work and my boss, Jackson Hale, called me into his office.
"You wanted me Mr. Hale?" I asked.
"Sit down," he said.
"Okay." I sat down as he continued to type. Mr. Hale looked over at me. He got up, closed the office door, and sat on his desk.
"I want you to take leave."
"May I ask why?"
"I take it as my business to know what happens in my employees lives. I know that your aunt, Scarlett Downey, died in a car wreck. I am demanding you to take two months leave with pay."
"Yes sir."
I left and went to Ohio.