18

Lucinda

        Nickolas got the mail. I sat on the couch with Nickolai. My two lovely children. I grabbed the mail from Nickolas and began reading it.
"No!" I screamed.
"Mommy, what is it?" Nickolas and Nickolai asked.
"Nothing. Would you please go play. Mommy has something to do."
"Okay."

I went over to my desk and began writing a letter. A letter to Tommy, my oldest son. This is what I said:
Dear TJ,

         Its me, mom. You shouldn't call me that. I left you for Hanks when you were just fourteen. I saw what Soul Weekly said about you. Is it true? Do you have aids? If it isn't aids, than it has to be diabetes. I should have told you, but its hereditary. When I became pregnant with you, I found out that I had diabetes. Same thing happened with Grandma Cara and her father. Except Grandpa Winston found out he had diabetes when Grandma Winston became pregnant with Grandma Cara. I would love to see you sometime.
Signed,
Lucinda Dragovich

Two weeks later, I got a letter from somebody. A girl named Elizabeth Rhett. It said:

Dear Mrs. Dragovich,

    I am Tommy's girlfriend. Courtney and I are having a belated surprise birthday party for him. And well, I was wondering if you'd like to come. Tommy's 25. Of course, you should know that. Your his mother. His address is Carter Cove Villa floor ten. Its the villa twenty minutes from the San Francisco International Airport. The code for the building is 5-6-7-8. Please come. The party is on the third of December.
Sincerely,
Elizabeth Marren Rhett
PS, this is my cell phone number.

I left Nicolai and Nikolas with a family down the road from us and drove to the airport in Phoenix. I got a ticket to the San Francisco International Airport.
A few hours later, I arrived at San Francisco International Airport. I got a cab and told the cab driver where to go. I got out in front of a large building. I got my phone out and texted Elizabeth.

ME: What did you say the code was again?

ELIZABETH: 5-6-7-8. Why are you here?

ME: Yes. You haven't told Tommy, right?

ELIZABETH: No. Come on up. Floor ten.

I went inside the building. I got on the elevator with ten other people.
"Where to Miss?" The boy by the elevator buttons asked.
"Ten." I said.
"Your brave, Miss."
"How?"
"Your going up to Thomas Morris' penthouse."
"Yeah...yeah, I am."

After everyone else got off, I stayed on the elevator for another couple of minutes. I walked into the penthouse and saw Courtney, Tommy, and a girl talking. There was another man there. His arm around Courtney's waist. The girl looked over and saw me. I stayed by the elevator and the girl walked over to me.
"Hi, I'm-" she said.
"Nicolette and T-" I tried to say.
"Shhh! Kingpin and Tommy don't know."
"Oh, okay."
"Come on."
Elizabeth walked to the living room. I slowly followed her.
"Tommy!" Elizabeth said. "I have one more surprise for you."
"Okay," Tommy said.
"Close your eyes."
Tommy closed his eyes.
"Okay, Jerome would you please help Tommy up?" Elizabeth asked.
"Yeah," the other man said.
He helped Tommy up.
Elizabeth motioned for me to come forward. I came a little closer and she said, "Tommy, open your eyes."
I watched as Tommy opened his eyes.
"Mom?" Tommy asked.
"Yes," I replied.
"Liza, did you do this?" He asked Elizabeth.
"Yes," Elizabeth replied. "She contacted you a few weeks ago and I wrote back to her. I really wanted to surprise you."
"Thank you." He kissed Liza and then came over to me.
"I'm so glad to see you, mom." He said and gave me a hug.
"How can you call her mom?" Courtney said.
"Because she's our mother," Tommy said.
"What do you want, Lucinda? Money?" Courtney asked.
"I came because I was invited," I said.
Courtney began to leave and I saw that she was showing.
"Your pregnant," I said.
"Yes, and you will never be able to see them." Courtney said. "Jerome come on."
"It was nice meeting you," Jerome said. "Its nice to actually meet my mother in law."
Jerome and Courtney left.
"Sit down, mom," Tommy said.
I sat down and told him everything.
"So I have a younger brother and sister. Beside Courtney?" Tommy asked.
"Yes. Now Elizabeth-" I began to say.
"Call me Liza," she said.
"Liza, how long have you been here?"
"Since I was fourteen."
"What happened?"
"Well, I got raped and my dad moved us out here."
"Wow."
Liza went down the hall. I didn't see her for the rest of the night.
"Tommy, can you take me to your dad?" I asked.
"Mom, do you realize he'll wanna kill you?" Tommy asked.
"Yeah and I will see him before I leave Carter."
"Okay."
Tommy took me to an abandoned building. It wasn't abandoned, though. The lights were on and people were moving. Tommy walked me up to the fifth floor. He knocked on the door.
"Come in," a voice said. It was Jerrod's voice.
"Dad, someone is here to see you," Tommy said.
"Tommy, I told you not to come back until-" Jerrod was saying.
"Hello Jerrod," I said.
"Lucinda," Jerrod said.