29

TOMMY

I walked into the room. Liza was checking on Nikolas and Nikolai. I showered and laid down on the bed. The door opened. It was Liza. She was talking on her phone.
"Yes," she said. "Oh, you saw it!"
"Who is it?" I lipped.
"Courtney," she replied. "Here. I have to take a shower."

Liza handed me the phone and went into the bathroom.
"Hello," I said.
"Where's Liza?" Courtney asked.
"Geez, nice to talk to you to."
"Why wouldn't you let me in on it?"
"On what?"
"Your engagement."
"How do you know?"
"The whole nation knows. It was aired live."
"What?"
"Since Liza was receiving the medal of valor, the news was able to get the president's speech and your proposal on television."
"Wow."
"Yeah, everyone I work with is calling to tell me to you congratulations."
"Tell them thank you."
"Where are you staying? Its so silent."
"The white house."
"How?"
"Estelle insisted that we stay here for a few days."
"The First Lady?"
"Yes."
"First name basis. I see. Your girlfriend saved a man and now your on a first name basis with him and his wife."

"Not just any man, Courtney," Liza said coming out of the bathroom, "the president of the United States of America."
"Yeah-" Courtney tried to say. Liza clicked the end call button and turned her phone on silent. Courtney tried to call, but Liza ignored her. She climbed into bed and kissed me.

A few days later, President Thorpe and his family said good-bye to us. We went to the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. It was a five hour, ten minute flight. Someone tipped the news because when we got to the airport the paparazzi was there. A girl from Soul Weekly was there. It was Analyse Sky. Liza told her to ask her the questions through email...which is what she did. Everything was hectic. I couldn't leave for work. Dad understood. I think. I didn't go to work for three months and Liza worked from home because of the paparazzi. Her boss totally understood. Courtney had given us the twins back and when everything was about to settle down, something else happened. Liza had a doctor's appointment because she want feeling good. She came home and told the children to go to their room. JJ and Luci stayed in the living room.
"What is it?" I asked, putting the lunch dishes in the sink.
"You know how I said that I couldn't have children?" Liza questioned.
"Yes, but what did this have to do with anything?"
"Well..."
"Liza, you can tell me anything."
"I'm pregnant."