Chapter 8

"Mama," I yelled walking into my parents' house

"Boy if you don't stop yelling in my house. You are not too old to get beat." She yelled back.

I found her in the kitchen.

"Mama I think I messed up," I said.

" What did you do now." She said with an Annoyed look on her face.

" Well, you know that girl that I went to court with a few years ago over Kari," I said.

" Yeah, I was there." She said.

" Well, Kari and I don't have a strong relationship. So I was gonna do a surprise meeting for the two of them. As a way of saying sorry for what I did. So I got her phone number from a friend of mine and I called her. But as we were ending the conversation I may or may not have called her a hœ." I said quickly.

After I said that mama slapped me.

" David Brewster have you lost your goddamn mind. Why the hell would you call her a hœ? She wasn't a hœ when she opened her home to your child." She yelled at me.

" Mama why are you so offended like I called you a hœ. I didn't even mean to say it. It just slipped out by accident." I said.

Then she slapped me again.

" David keep playing with me I'm gonna beat yo âss. Don't ever in your life put me and the word hœ in the same sentence. And take that base out your voice when you're talking to me. Apologize to Kehlani immediately." She said.

With a bruised jaw and a full belly, I left my mama's house with a lot on my mind.