Chapter 12

"Mama," I said walking into her apartment

" Yes." She responded.

I found her in the kitchen.

I threw down my book bag and took a seat on the chair laying my head down on the island.

"You'll never believe what happened to me today," I exclaimed.

"Tell me what happened. You look stressed out." She said.

"Well, first I was annoyed because people were bothering me all day. Then my dad said he wanted to have a family dinner tonight because we don't bond enough. I'm mad about that because it's cutting into my time with you. Then, Don, my half-brother asked me out. Then I had to tell him no in front of the whole school." I said all at once.

" Well first off I think it's a good idea that you're spending time with your dad. Even if it is cutting into our time. Second, you need to have a conversation with Don because I'm pretty sure his parents didn't tell him he had a half-sister. You need to have that conversation sooner and not later because I've seen what public rejection does to people." She said.

I took everything in. We talked for a little while longer before it was time for me to leave.

" I'll see you later mama. I'll call you after this so-called family dinner." I said.

I gave her a hug. " I love you, mama. Just a couple more months and I'll be with you completely." I whispered.

" I love you to KC. Be good." She said back.

" She said back