Chapter 16

~TOBIAS'S POV~

Mr. Prior just stands there looking at me, in complete silence.  Did I say something wrong?  About a minute goes by when I hear a female's voice coming to the door.

"Andrew," says the voice. "Who is it?" Then Tris's mother steps up to the door and stands next to her husband. She looks at me and scans my body up and down, noting that I'm wearing black, and is from Dauntless. "Is something wrong with Beatrice?" She doesn't remember me, I suppose this is good. I open my mouth to say something, but Tris's father says something first, not taking his gaze off of me.

"Quite the opposite, Natalie. It seems that this man is our daughters fiancé. " I can hear Tris's mother gasp, but she does it quitley so it is barely audible. Then she changes her expression and puts a smike on her face.

"Well, don't just stand there, Andrew, let the man in." Mr. Prior stands out of tne way and opens the gap. etween us, letting me into his house. I guess this is a start. Mrs. Prior motions for me to follow her and brings me into their living room. It looks exactly like the living room at my house, so all the houses must be identical. "Please, sit down," says Mrs. Prior. I take a seat on to a chair by the firplace and after a few moments, Mr. Prior joins his wife on the couch.

"So you're Marcus Eaton's son?" asks her father. I nod my head.

"You're Tobias Eaton?" asks her mother. I nod my head again. Another gasp escapes her mouth.

"Well, why are you here?" her father asks. I take a deep breath.

"Well, Mr. and Mrs. Prior-" I get cut short.

"Call me Andrew," he says.

"And you may call me Natalie is you prefer," she says. I'm now on a first name basis, this is progress.

"Well, Andrew ans Natalie, I'm here to ask two things. The first is, I know I already proposed to Tri-Beatice, but I wanted to know if I could have your blessing to marry her. I know that she is the youngest, but we have recently been through a lot and after that experience, I knew that I absolutely loved her and I wanted to be there by her side, forever. I also know that getting this blessing from you would mean a lot to her." They both just sit there and look at me. Are they akways like this?

"No," says Andrew. Wait, NO?

"Andrew," starts Natalie, but he doesn't let her finish.

"I'm sorry but you can't just come in here, us never meeting you, saying you want a blessing to marry my daughter? The last time I met you, you left Abnegation and that was three years ago. I never even personally knew you. I know you must mean a lot to Beatrice, but I can't just let you marry her before I know her feelings about you. Plus, you are both too young. Beatrice is only just 17 and you're probably almost 19 if not already. My answer is no." I can't believe this, no, no, no. I'm going to have to put up a fight, even though I don't want to with my fiancés father.

"I would've brought Tris with me, but it was going to be a surprise. The other thing I wanted to ask you is if we could use your yard for the wedding and have you guys be there for her. Please, Andrew, it would make her so overwhelmed with happiness, and isn't that what everyone wants for their children, for them to be happy? And, in Dauntless, everyone marries young because our part in society is dangerous and we could lose eachother at any moment. Please, I am begging you. Let me make your daughter happy"

"Who is Tris? And I need to know her side on it all. My answer is no, and Natalie, don't even try arguing it," Natalie shuts her mouth and leans back on the couch, defeated.

"It is what Beatrice goes by now. And, I can tell you her side. If she didn't love me, she wouldn't have accepted my proposal, or tell me every morning when we wake up and go to sleep that she loves me. We have just been through a bunch of bull shit together but we never once left each others side during it. She is the light of my life and if she wasn't with me, I'd be factionless. Without Tris, I would be so lost. Frankly, I don't care that I don't get your blessing. We love each other and we are going to get married this April, no matter what anybody says, even her parents!" I needed to blow of steam, and I just blew it on the last person I should've blown it on.