7. Pity

She called Emily as soon as she got home from school.

"Helpppppppppp!" Vish yelled into her phone.

"What's up?"

"I don't know?!"

They talked for hours explaining their lives and problems. This was the first time Vish talked about Ben's disappearance. Now came the waterfalls of sympathy.

This is when everyone is sorry for you and they acknowledge how much your life is horrible. Vish regretted telling her already.

"I haven't seen him in a week! He's 13 Em!"

"I know. I'm so sorry!"

There isn't really anything a person can say. They AREN'T experiencing your troubles. They HAVEN'T cried about it. No one can understand unless they're in your situation.

This is called pity. Being sorry for someone because they're unfortunate. Now, that doesn't sound bad but no one likes receiving it.

"How about you like date or something to feel better?"

"That isn't how happiness works! I'm not going to make a rebound!"

"Why not?! You've dated twice! You know how to be romantic!"

"I'm not dating because of my grief Emily!"

"Fine fine. But you and Carlos would be cute together!"

"Stop."

The pity makes a person want to find solutions. Most don't even help or have been thought of by the pitied. So, pity is awful.

"Do you want ice cream or something?"

"Yeah, sure. I have some. Do you want to come over?"

"Yeah! See you soon Vanisha!"

Beep. Vish hated the pity. It made her feel like she was burdening others. It wasn't a good or healthy feeling to have. She went outside and sat on her hammock. Vish swung back and forth repeatedly.

If only she felt happy for an entire day. That'd be progress. Vish laid there thinking before hearing a doorbell. She ran inside to open the front door.

"Hi Vannnn!"

"Hey, Em."

They got out Cookies 'N Cream and talked more. It started to be about random topics. Vampires. France. Who won WWI. Why cats are antisocial. Why people get allergic to things.

"I swear I had no idea strawberries weren't berries!" Emily exclaimed.

Vish laughed.

"Sadly, that's the truth!"

They finished an entire freaking carton of ice cream. After that they watched several movies and talked about how they'd rate them or how good the animation or plot line was.

"I'm tired." Emily yawned, causing Vish to yawn too.

"Yeah. I think it's time for you to go home. We have school tomorrow."

Emily left, not feeling pity anymore and Vish not having to carry it.