chapter three

Chapter 3: The pain of the mind is worse than the pain of the body.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

They walked back upstairs and entered the room that contained the table with the microphone and stood in front of a glass window. The two observed the mermaid slowly open itself up from its fetal position. It looked around, eyes filled with fear as it banged on the glass with its small, delicate hands.

Jungkook watched as the mermaid struggled and instantly regretted his rash decision. He was once again debating whether he had made the correct decision. Part of Jungkook's mind was telling him to back up but the other side was contradicting, almost selfishly reminding him how hard he worked to get where he was.

Jungkook gulped and closed his eyes, listening to the cries of struggle of the mermaid. Its cries were full of sorrow and hurt. It pleaded for someone to help him out.

"Please... please help me." The mermaid pleaded in a sweet, hurtful tone. "Please save me. Please let me go."

Jungkook diverted his attention to Mr. Han who was chuckling at the sight of the struggling mermaid and shook his head, a satisfying smirk plastered on his face. He couldn't quite understand how Mr. Han could enjoy the suffering of others and laugh about serious issues like the one presented in front of them. They watched the mermaid struggle for a few minutes before Mr. Han ordered something in the microphone to his workers.

Before he was able to process what was about to happen, flashin, bright lights suddenly beamed inside the tank and Jungkook could hear cries of pain coming from inside the tank. Mr. Han had ordered for them to shock the mermaid.

The mermaid looked up, it's eyes filled with tears and made eye contact with Jungkook for a few brief seconds. When their eyes connected there was a spark. An indescribable spark that sent shivers down Jungkook's neck.

Jungkook leaned over the counter holding his ribcage. There was an immense pain in his ribs, it was like he could feel the pain the mermaid was in.

Mr. Han turned around to face Jungkook when he heard him cry in pain. "Jungkook, are you okay?" Jungkook nodded and slowly stood up, still feeling a bit of pain in his ribs.

He looked up to find the mermaid back in its fetal position with its eyes closed. Jungkook felt bad, he felt horrible because he couldn't do anything to help it. He was helpless, he was a coward just watching from the sidelines as the mermaid suffered the consequences of his actions.

This wasn't the type of person he was. Jungkook loved animals and wanted to protect them in any way possible. He didn't stand for any type of abuse in general but he had just allowed it a few minutes ago.

Stupid. Idiot. Coward. He told himself as a way to punish himself for his actions.

"Jungkook can I have a word with you?" Mr. Han's voice interrupted Jungkook from his thoughts.

"Huh?"

"Can I have a word with you?" Jungkook nodded.

Mr. Han dragged Jungkook by the elbow to the corner of the room and glared at him angrily, "Jungkook, you need to learn to control your emotions. You will have to order the same thing I did a few minutes ago or do even more crueler things. It is all part of the job. This is the only way we'll be able to collect resourceful information from this creature and other creatures alike."

"I-it's just not right." Jungkook stuttered out. "There must be other ways to collect information without harming the creature. It's not fair for us to bring pain to a harmless creature for our selfish needs."

Mr. Han shook his head and wrapped his arm around Jungkook's shoulder, "Kid, nothing in this world is fair. We are scientists. This is what we're paid to do. We, scientists, are not selfish, it's the people who are."

"B-But it's not correct! These animals are alive like us. They can feel pain, they can hear, they can communicate. They are just like us!" Jungkook retorted in anger.

In a sudden movement, Mr. Han brought his hand up and slapped Jungkook on the cheek, alarming the boy who widened his eyes at the sudden action. "Shut up Jungkook! End of discussion! I don't want to hear about the topic anymore. Understood?"

All Jungkook could do is nod and shut his eyes tightly. He took a deep breath and swallowed the dry lump forming on his throat.The way the mermaid's beautiful, sea blue eyes filled with tears and the way it painfully cried was enough to haunt him forever. 

Jungkook thought about it deeply and decided that he couldn't do it. He wasn't going to do this project. He couldn't after what he had just experienced. If being a scientist required harming innocent animals he wasn't put up for the job; he was weak and hated himself for that. Now he just didn't know how to tell Mr. Han his decision. 

After Mr. Han's sudden outburst, Jungkook was afraid of telling him. He paced around the room for a few minutes before mustering all the courage he could and tapped Mr. Han on the shoulder. "Mr. Han I don't think I can do this... I'm sorry."

"Don't be a coward Jungkook. There is no turning back. You've already accepted the offer and now have to deal with the consequences of your actions."

"B-but."

"No but's Jungkook. That's my final answer. You're doing this whether you want to or not. I'm putting my name in the line for you! So you better not disappoint me."

Jungkook looked down in defeat and whispered, "Yes, sir."

Mr. Han walked out of the room and headed upstairs, Jungkook following behind him. Mr. Han stopped in front of the door and said, "You will start your research on the creature tomorrow morning." Jungkook sighed and nodded. "Also, please make sure to actually be on time tomorrow."

"I swear I'll be here on time tomorrow, I promise." Mr. Han nodded firmly.

Jungkook stifled and avoided eye contact with him. He couldn't bear to look him in the eye after what he had experienced and the pain he would conflict on the creature.

"Oh and before I forget, Namjoon will be your counselor and help guide you through the process."

"Namjoon?" Jungkook bit his lip and knew he was in for trouble.

He didn't want to work with Namjoon. He will make stupid witty comments about how dumb Jungkook was and how he couldn't do anything correctly. But Jungkook was in no position to argue at this point.

"Okay."

Mr. Han left the room but Jungkook stopped for a moment. He wanted to glance at the mermaid one more time. It was once again in a fetal position, his eyes close shut. Jungkook shed a small tear but wiped it away quickly before Mr. Han could notice.

As he was making his way out of the door, Jungkook heard a voice whisper in his ear. It was a sweet, melodic voice. It was speaking to him.

Please save me, Jungkook.... Please help me...

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I've been so busy these few days, I'm exhausted. Work has been so busy lately,, I am tired of dealing with entitled, rude customers 🙃

Thank you to everyone who has voted & commented on this story!! It truly means a lot to me <3 Please keep voting & commenting your opinions. I love reading your comments,, they mean the world to me and make my day 100% better ♡!!