Chapter 3- I Don't Care

Picture of Aaron above^

Malia~

School was over and I had already begun walking to Aaron's school to pick him up. On the way, thoughts of my first day of school ran through my mind.

First, I had become quite comfortable with Cici and Rachel. They were kind enough to show me the ropes of how to survive in high school. At lunch, they introduced me to another one of their closest friend, Reese.

He was on the football team and seemed nice. Of course the girls vouched for him and told me he may be the last surviving gentlemen in this town. Mostly because the reason for this is that he's gay.

But they were right. Reese was sweet enough to talk to and understood my hesitation to the girls personal questions so he always took it upon himself to change the subject. I couldn't have been more grateful for him.

Even with all this, I still haven't trusted anyone yet to tell them about myself. But I feel that if I had to tell anyone, it would be them.

Second, my classes turned out to be interesting. It was my first time being in an actual classroom after a year of homeschooling. I had missed the noise and the feeling you get when you're around your fellow classmates.

Luckily, I always had either Rachel or Cici with me. They kept things interesting, especially since I found out I had a few classes with Reese also.

And Thrid, that boy from second period who I had learned was named Jace Montgomery.

I had seen him a few times after English and, in all those times, I've never been so curious about anyone as much as I was about him.

I had seen him at lunch. Sitting at a table, surrounded by cheerleaders, and looking as bored as always, yet he began whispering in a girls ear, making her smirk and touch his chest. I don't know why, but I couldn't stomach the sight, so I tried to forget it.

I had been successful until sixth period came and I had already been seated with Cici, listening to her tell me about her latest ex-boyfriend. I had zoned out ever since we sat down, but when the door opened five minutes into class, I glanced at the door to see him walking in late once again.

Our eyes connected and I felt shocked that I had another class with him, but also embarrassment because he probably thought I was already staring at him when I wasn't. Hopefully, I had masked it in time as I turned to face the front.

Had I known Cici was watching our interaction, I would've denied anything before she said something, but I was too late.

"Don't, Mal," she sternly said.

I faced her with a frown. "What?"

"That's Jace Montgomery. The Jace Montgomery," she said, nodding her head towards the back to where he sat with his friends. "No one messes with him and his friends because we all know how dangerous they are. There are nasty rumors about them that they don't even try to deny. I'm telling you this now : Don't get mixed up with him just because he's a pretty face with a toned body."

"Cici, you don't have to worry." Her tense posture becomes calm at my soothing tone. "I'm not looking to get into anything. I honestly don't think I'm ready for that. But if I were, he'd be the last one I do anything with."

The way she had looked so relieved after I said that just made me so much more curious as to what she means. I mean, how dangerous could they be?

Walking up to the elementary school steps, I spot Aaron standing with a group of boys his age. They're laughing at a comic book in one of the boy's hands and I stop to take in the sight of him truly smiling.