Chapter 7- Partners?

Picture of Rachel above

~Recap~

Cici and Rachel share a look before Rachel's sighs and looks back down at the table.

When Cici looks at me, I know it's something big. But what she says next didn't even come close to what I was thinking.

"Brooks was driving the car that killed her brother."

~Continue~

Malia~

My mouth dropped open as I stared at them.

Out of what I've seen between them in the hallway, I never would have guessed...that. I mean...that was way off on what I was thinking.

"What...I..are you..." I looked from Cici to Rachel who had a sad look on her face. I shook my head and tried to look passive. "Uhm..."

I couldn't say anything. I didn't want to just come out with, "I'm so sorry for your loss," or, "How are you?". I mean, come on. Let's not be dense. I hate it when someone says that to me and I'm assuming she would too.

Instead, I opted out for saying, "So you two weren't together?"

Cici and Reese start to laugh, holding their stomachs and leaning on each other.

"They hated each other. Always have," Reese says in between laughs.

Cici nods in agreement. "Yeah. I remember this one time when we were walking to class, we caught him hanging around in the hallway making out with some girl against the lockers. He didn't seem to have any shame when she hooked her leg around his waist." Her face turns sour. "I swear, I almost threw up."

Reese laughs. "I have to admit, it was sorta hot. I just wish he was doing that to me."

Cici nudges him, but goes on. "Anyways, Rachel got so mad because they were next to her locker. So she stomped over and flung it open, hitting the sides of their faces."

Reese barks out more laughter and I watch as Rach smiles at the memory.

"He didn't know what seemed to hit him! He was so confused, but when he saw her laughing, he got so mad and stalked away."

Rachel smiles nervously. "Yeah. I remember that. He didn't talk to me for weeks." Then she adds in a whisper, "But he always made it up to me."

I don't think her whisper was supposed to be heard...but it was. Cici and Reese stopped their chuckles and murmurings, shooting her a confused frown.

I had a feeling that, not only did I miss something, it seems they did too. Rachel fiddles with her fingers, but doesn't dare to look at us.

"I'm sorry...what?" Cici asks.

"What?" Rachel tries to play it off with innocence. But her voice goes up a bit when she talks. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Yes, you do," Reese states, his eyes narrowed. "Your voice gets a sort of pitch when you lie."

She rolls her eyes. "Well I'm not."

"Rachel Annabeth Naomi Torres, you tell the truth right now!" Cici yells.

It catches the attention of a few tables around us, but I give them an apologetic smile.

"Dammit, Cici. Will you keep your voice down?!" Rachel whisper-yells.

Her eyes shoot to the table where Brooks sits at with Jace and Titus, murmuring between themselves. I was surprised to see that the cheerleaders weren't sitting with them because it was like a daily routine.