Chapter 13- Birthday (2/2)

Malia~

I stood, dumbfounded, as Jace walked away without a glance. He gives me a kiss on my head and just walks away without a word...wow.

I may be reading into it too deep, but you don't know the warmth and tingles that spread through me with that peck. I know I can't get too involved with him.

He can break me further than I've already broken...and that scares me. I knew I needed to stay away from him, yet here I am. At his niece and nephews birthday party.

My dazed smile falls as I think more on why I needed to stop trying to get close to him. My eyes stare at the grass beneath my sandals and I force the tears that come when I think of why I can't be happy.

I blink rapidly as I sigh and began to weave around the couples to find a seat to sit.

The sun had already begun to set. The sky fading from the bright yellow glow to a blue night where the stars are just beginning to peek out.

I'm near the food table when I hear my name called. I look to my right, towards the backdoor, where I see a grinning Ariel skipping outside.

I smile timidly and wait as she makes her way over to me.

The first time I met Ariel Ariel was when Jace and I are just starting on our project at his brothers house. She was so sweet and funny and nearly tore my arm off when she dragged Aaron and I inside. But she made me feel welcomed. I didn't get that much anymore.

"Hey, girly," She greets, surprising me by engulfing me in her arms before stepping back with a grin. "Jace needs to bring you around more. I feel like I never see you that much."

"That's because you live an hour away, Ariel." This comes from Ace who was walking by to set fresh hamburgers on the table.

I had met Ace after Jules had pulled me through the house and to the back when we had first arrived. I admit that I was a bit scared, but after seeing how he treats his family, I saw that he was just really...protective.

"Yeah, but I practically live here if I drive that hour every single day." Ariel rolls her eyes at him.

Ace raises a brow as he points his tongs at her. "I swear you get that eye rolling from your sister."

I guess she takes that as a compliment because she only smiles and turns to walk towards Jules who still sat next to the grill, stuffing her face with a hamburger, two hotdogs, potato chips, and some chicken wings.

Ariel and I took the seats next to her. Almost after we'd completely sat down, Jules was throwing questions at me.

"How are you and Jace? Are you guys a thing yet? How did he ask? Is he romantic? Oh, you guys are so cute!" I didn't even get the chance to correct her. "I saw you two dancing earlier. I swear, you two looked so lost in each other that I thought you'd never stop dancing!"

Ariel gasps, turning me with a shocked face. "You and Jace danced together? Are things official? Is there going to be a Jalia?"

I blink as I look at them with wide eyes. I'm not sure I caught a snippet of what was thrown at me.

"Um...Jace and I are just friends." I laugh awkwardly. "And it was only just one dance. Friends can dance with each other."

Ariel and Jules' grins falter.

"So...what about Jalia?" Ariel asks.

I frown. "Jalia?"

The two women glance at each other with slight blushes.