Chapter 18- Masquerade

(Five Days Later)

Jace~

It's been five days since I've had Malia and Aaron stay with me. Five days since her friends and Ariel came over and practically forced her out the house. Five days I've had to fight temptation...and it was a bitch.

Today was Saturday, the day of the Masquerade Dance.

This past week, I've had Malia and Aaron stay home so they can take a few days off of all the school pressure. I wanted them to focus on them for a change.

I may be a ruthless Mafia Leader, but I know compassion. Only when it needs to be given.

These past few days, I've had my quiet, serene home filled with Malia's friends. Reese was always in my fridge, Cici was always judging my home, and Rachel kept looking around her as if she was scared someone would pop out.

I've had Titus and Brooks over a few times as well and it always ended up with Rachel leaving the room or Titus and Cici missing from the group.

Today, I would've been checking up on my men and the process of finding Cole, but because Brooks opened his fat mouth, I had to go to the stupid dance that Jules was making me go to.

A knock on my door stroke me out of my thoughts.

I fixed my collar with a frown and a tight jaw. "Who is it?"

"It's me, Jay." Jules sweet voice sounds through the door, sounding excited.

I've never had the guts to stand up to her. It was weird. I never say sorry, I never let my guard down, and I never back away from a fight. But it's hard with Jules.

She was like a sister to me. She's known me since I was a child. She's been through the dark times with me when no one, not even my brother, saw through my facade.

"Come in."

The door opens, and Jules waddles in, a hand on her stomach and the other on her lower back.

She lets out a breathe. "I feel like I couldn't fit through that door."

I chuckle and turn back around to fix the collar of my dress shirt once again.

"Wow." I look in the mirror at her and see the unshed tears in her eyes. "You look very handsome, JayJay."

"JuJu-," I start.

She holds up a hand that goes straight to her mouth to cover the sob that lets loose. "I know. I'm sorry. It's just...you've grown so much from the little boy that I first met in the diner who couldn't decide between Orange juice or chocolate milk."

I let out a laugh as I look at my shoes. "I wish I remember that. Everything from my childhood is all a bug blur."

She smiles sadly, her puppy dog eyes shining with tears.

"Yeah," she whispers. "You probably don't even remember when you first met Ariel. Ace told me when he introduced y'all, you hid your face in his chest and didn't even bother to look at her. Now look at you. Sweet talking girls out of their pants left and right."

I grin and turn around. "Well I had to grow up sooner or later."

She nods and wipes a tear. "I wish it had been later. You grew up way too fast."

"Well I had to. Ace was leaving the position open and it was only right if I took his place."

She doesn't say anything at first, then walks forward to brush down the lapels of my suit.