Chapter 17- Real Friends

Malia~

I sat with Aaron, still sitting in the kitchen of Jaces home. I had only eaten half the sandwich Jace had made for me and was making sure Aaron eats all of his, which wasn't a problem.

He was scarfing down the meal as if it was his last. It made me smile and feel sad at the same time.

I knew that Aaron wasn't only starving because the hospital food was shit, but also because he hasn't had a decent meal living with Dave.

I had promised that I'd take care of us, but I can't even do that. Instead, the high school 'bad boy' was helping us.

And I couldn't figure out why...

"Malia, I'm done," Aaron says, pushing his plate away while licking at his fingers.

I smile and gather our plates, setting them beside the sink so I could wash them. I turn back around to him and sigh.

"Okay, chip. I think it's time we leave."

He frowns. "But we just got here."

"I know, but we can't stay. We have to call Ms. Weller and let her know that...that...," It was hard to finish my sentence without telling him I killed our legal guardian, "that we need a new home just for a few more months."

Aaron pouts. "But Jace said we could stay here. Why can't we stay here?"

I find it hard to answer. I felt as if I was letting him down somehow.

"Chip, we just can't," I tell him softly.

"Yes, you can."

I gasp and look towards the entrance of the kitchen at the sound of Jaces authoritative tone. He's standing there staring at me with intense eyes and his arms crossed over his chest.

Without looking away from me, he says, "She's just confused, Aaron. Why don't you go pick out your room while I talk to your sister."

Aaron grins excitedly and hops down from his chair, running past Jace who gives him a little smirk and a pat on the head.

Once he's gone and completely out of earshot, I tell him, "We are not staying."

"Malia, where else are you going to go?" I don't let him know we have nowhere else to go and stand my ground. "Look, you two can stay here as long as you need to. But don't drag Aaron out onto the streets because of your stubbornness."

He turns to walk away, leaving me dumbfounded. Despite how harsh it came out, it was true.

I can't make us homeless because I refuse to be in the same house as the person who has helped us and not once has he asked for anything in return.

I silently wash mine and Aaron's dishes before I walk out the back door and sit on one of the lounging chairs. I stare at the ground as I tuck one of my legs under my thigh.

Here I am thinking about trying to make Aaron happy and I don't even see Jace has already begun doing that. I guess I can admit that I'm a bit jealous he can give Aaron something I've been trying to do for over a year now.

I sigh and put my head in my hands. "What are you doing, Malia?"

The faint sound of the doorbell ringing repeatedly brings me back and I hurry inside to find Aaron when I see him in the hall with Jace heading to the door.

Jace opens it and is immediately pushed aside by a frowning Cici who glances up the stairs, into the living room, and then the hall. Her eyes widen when she sees me and she's running over to crush me in a hug.