f o u r t y s i x

🌸 d e v o n 🌸

I sat up on clinton's bed, looking over at the boy laying beside me fast asleep. We were both wearing our clothes from when we had left Bryce's mountain house but my hat had been tossed aside on the bed side table. I've felt disgusting since I had got here but knew I had left all my stuff behind and I wasn't for sure I had anything to change into.

Standing up I decided to look in Clinton's closet for something to change into, I noticed a box in the top left corner with my name written across it. It was everything I had left over here and never came back for, it didn't surprise me that he kept it because I had kept everything of his too. I pulled one of his tee shirts down from the closet and took it to the bathroom with me to change.

I pull my blue wig off and lay it on a towel, shaking my real hair out. I close my eyes and slide down the side of the bathroom wall, my phone still lighting up with messages from everyone. I stumbled down the stairs when I was done having a break down, dazed as if something were seriously wrong with me.

"Devon." I hear someone call to me, still dazed I look around to find Christian in the kitchen around the corner coming in for a hug.

"What are you doing here Devon?" Mitchel asked with a serious look on his face. "Not that I'm happy you're here."

"I don't know." I frowned. "But I'm glad I came."

They both exchange a look with each other, as if they knew something I didn't.

"How did you get here?" Mitchel asked as he followed me to the kitchen, I rummaged around through the cabinets that I once knew the contents of.

"Clinton came to the mountain house, the one Makenna and I were staying at. You told him where we were, remember?" I said giving up on food and retrieve a glass for water from one of the other cabinet. "I wasn't going to come."

"What changed you're mind?"

"The song?"

"Gravity." Christian finally smiled. "When he played it for us the first time we wanted to show it to the music producer the next week, he wouldn't let us because he wrote it for you and you only."

"Only thing is, we told him you'd never listen to it." Mitchel sighed.

"I'm a sucker for songs." I said side eyeing down at the floor. "I'm going to take a walk, if Clinton wakes up tell him I'm going to walk up to the old house."

"Devon it two in the morning." Christian said looking at the clock on the stove. "Let one of us come with you."

"I need to think, I'm a big girl I know which street to go down and which ones to not." I defend myself as I wrapped my arms around myself heading for the door. "I'll be back."

The wind hit and Clinton's shirt clung to me, my hair was the least of my problems right now I'm sure. I climbed up the hill to the lush house that had once been mine. The sign still stuck into the ground seeing as it hadn't sold yet. Climbing up to the porch steps, I had an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach like I knew someone was there with me.

"I wish Makenna was here." I grumbled remembering my very hurt best friend up in Yosemite by herself. "I need her."

"You need your mother more." I hear the voice of my mother coming up the steps. "What are you doing here Devon Marie?"